Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Labor cost to replace carpet and seat covers - 66 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Default Labor cost to replace carpet and seat covers - 66 coupe?

What should I expect it to cost for labor to replace the carpet and seat covers for a 66 coupe? I'm paying for the material separate.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Take the seats out get them recovered and while they are out, replace the carpet yourself.

If you really wanted to, you could do the seat covers yourself too, they are not hard to replace.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Second to doing it yourself. The carpet drops in, hardest part is finding all the screw holes. The seats are easy, I did it when I was 17.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Yeah, The carpet is really rather simple to replace. You'll definitely save money on labor if you remove the seats yourself. If you do decide to do the seats yourself, do it on a warm day and be patient.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Upholstery replacement follows a familiar path. The more you do, the better they turn out. Of course, there are some things you just don't want to get real good at. Seriously, if you could watch someone who knows what they are doing re-cover a set, you could probably save yourself a LOT of headaches. Carpet is pretty much a "take out and put in" job that can be done easily with a little patience. While you are at it, think hard about installing carpet underlayment.
Best,
Al
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

I agree with taking the seats out and doing the carpet yourself. Whether or not you do the seats yourself, the carpet is easy. We've done a couple of interiors in mustangs and the main trick is to do it on a warm sunny day so you can get the covers warm and pliable. They go on pretty well then. Buy the tool for the o-rings also. It makes it so much easier. I'd also replace the foam on the seats if it isn't really good. New foam makes the covers fit a lot tighter and look better.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Okay, thank you for he help;
Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 AM
toybreaker
2nd Gear Member

I did the seat covers on my 70. It wasn't difficult. It took me 4 days after work to get the front seats, rear seat and carpet done. I broke the cheap *** hog ring pliers though. I "rented" a set from a local upholstery shop to get the job done. Make sure you get a quality set of pliers....
Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 AM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toybreaker
I did the seat covers on my 70. It wasn't difficult. It took me 4 days after work to get the front seats, rear seat and carpet done. I broke the cheap *** hog ring pliers though. I "rented" a set from a local upholstery shop to get the job done. Make sure you get a quality set of pliers....
That is important. We broke a cheap set, too.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Your original question was how much should the carpet and seat upholstery install cost. I would say that you would be looking at somewhere in the $300.00 or maybe a little less range. Seats can be done in under four hours, and carpet in about an hour. That's what I would charge, and I've done hundreds of sets of upholstery. I would be happy to show you and help you for half that. I'm in the DFW area. Send me an E-mail. Mrmust@juno.com.
Best,
Al

Quick Reply: Labor cost to replace carpet and seat covers - 66 coupe?