Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 Mustang Coupe Complete Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
rickshaner

Default 69 Mustang Coupe Complete Restoration

I just joined the forum, and wanted to say hi. I've been restoring my 69 coupe for about two years now and am hoping to have it on the road this summer. Hopefully I can not only learn from the rest of you guys, but inform others on the forum as well, through the experiences that I have had restoring my car. Please ask me any questions and I will do my best to help.

Here's a link to my website that shows what I have done so far:

http://www.69mustangrestoration.blogspot.com/

Rick
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Nice! It looks like you are taking this seriously, good for you. My first car was a 69 coupe, it was a beauty. (Right up till the time I slid it down the highway on it's roof)

I really wish I had ONE picture of that car :-(
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
rickshaner

Thanks man. I'm trying to do it the right way.
Sorry about your car. I had a 67 coupe that I totaled the second day that I drove it. I feel your pain.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The car looks like you have all the major stuff covered.If you need help finding parts or ideas whats out there for it let me know i know a ton of sites.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I look forward to watching it come back to life.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 AM
rickshaner

Thanks for looking guys. I will keep the site updated with all of my progress. Hopefully it will be ready for the all Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA in June, but I'm not going to rush it.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
goldrush031619

Hi Rick,
The 'stang looks great from your blog photo's. Mine is a '69 coupe with a 302. I have a quick question for you. I see you used the Eastwood 2k paint for the underbody. I'm currently removing my engine to rebuild it (break time). Since the engine will be out I'm gonna repaint the engine bay. I was on Eastwood's site last night to purchase the paint, since I've always heard good things that's where I went. Before paying for the items in the cart, I happened to look and see some bad reviews. After reading them I'm not sure if that is the best thing to use as my paint source. I was buying the "underhood" Eastwood paint. But the reviews overwhelmingly say the paint chips easily and not worth the hassle of prepping just to having a bad product! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM
jterr

Anyway to get bigger pics? For some reason I can't read the print and no way to make pics bigger.
I'm starting on a 67 coupe and that has alot of rust so every little bit of info would be a big help

Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
rickshaner

Joe,

It looks like the reviews are better for the 2k ceramic paint than just the regular under hood paint. I would recommend the ceramic 2k paint.
Keep in mind that the most important part of the paint job is the prep work. When I prepped my surface I took a lot of it down to bare metal. The only places that I did not go down to bare metal was on the replacement panels that had Ecoat on them, and in the engine bay where I knew that there was an epoxy primer with a urethane topcoat. I knew this because 8 years ago I had sand blasted that area and painted it. I just didn't like the glossy look of the paint so I sprayed over it with the satin finish. In these areas I scuffed the surface with a green Scotch-Brite pad. I then cleaned all surfaces with Eastwoods metal prep. So far I have not had problems with chips, but I obviously haven't driven it anywhere. I will say however that while putting the suspension and steering back on the car I bumped the paint quite a few times and had no issues with chipping. Also keep in mind that the paint takes 3-5 days to fully cure, so it is not as resistant to chips during its curing period. Hope this helps.

Rick
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM
rickshaner

jterr,

Try clicking on the pictures. That should give you a larger picture. You can also press control+ to zoom in (command+ on a mac). Then press control- to zoom out (command- on a mac). Good luck with your project. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to help you out as best as I can.

Thanks for looking,
Rick

Quick Reply: 69 Mustang Coupe Complete Restoration