Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What are these wires for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Drail14me

Default What are these wires for?

Below is a picture of my dash wiring. I'm trying to figure out the 3 labeled wires. Can anyone tell me what they are for?

1. Wire is constant hot (with our without ignition switch on) I don't remember it being connected to my instrument cluster. I was thinking of connecting my radio memory wire here. Any idea what is supposed to connect to this wire?

2. Wire is switched with the ignition. Don't remember unplugging anything from it. Thought of connecting my radio power to this plug. Any idea what is supposed to connect to this wire?

3. 3 way plug. I can't get any power to this plug ignition on or off. Any ideas?

Also, I've blown several 14 amp fuses. I think this is the one that the cigarette lighter goes to. What else should I check for the cause of blowing that fuse?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Thats why u take pics as u take it apart & physically label wires,,, just sayin...

Good luck
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM
TheLockNLoad
1st Gear Member

1 looks like the type of connector that pushes on to an exposed post like on the back of a cigarette lighter.

2 looks like it should have another connector plugged into it (radio power maybe??)

3 no clue

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

you need to download some of the free wiring diagrams available for your car. try average joe resto at the link below:
http://averagejoerestoration.com/res...ring-diagrams/

Your connectors are used for accessories sold by Ford for the car. Based on the wire colors and the above referenced diagrams I'm confident you'll figure it out quicker that asking here for help. PM me if you need anything else related
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Drail14me

Originally Posted by FrostByte
Thats why u take pics as u take it apart & physically label wires,,, just sayin...

Good luck
Digital cameras weren't even available when I started this project! HA!!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Hmmm, we know there were cameras avail when the stangs where made, just need a one hour photo booth.... remember those/film rolls?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

One or more of them may not hook up to anything. On the one that shows no signs of life, turn on your dome lights, headlights, blinkers, fan and anything else you can think of and see if it goes hot. Just a notion.

I have found open and unused factory female plugs behind the instrument cluster and under the dash.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 01-23-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Daniel Bente

If you have yet to find where they plug into and nothing else has worked, try the old "see what it reaches" method of looking. All wires only go so far until they must plug into something. IF they do not reach any one plug or item to plug into (that is appropriate for constant/battery power or ignition power) look for male ends that will reach to them and fit properly. ALWAYS check what you are plugging in to make sure power is appropriate!!!

If you are blowing that one fuse time and again, try taking it out and checking for power in those wires. If that does not isolate the problem, turn everything on and pull the fuse... see if anything shuts down.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

download any one of many wiring schematics, or buy an electrical book, they're not expensive and good to have. clean the exterior of the wire and identify the color, theres usually a primary color and secondary band color, or only one color. Electrical schematics are broken down into sections, your case, instruments... find the color and the drawing will tell you where it connects.... unless you can tell us the color of ea wire, your hit & miss at this point.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

number 3 looks like what my under dash interior lights plug into

Quick Reply: What are these wires for?