Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 mustang handling problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Kellel66

Default 66 mustang handling problems

Hi I just got a 1966 mustang that has manual brakes and steering. It has a 6 cyl 200 in it also. When I drive it down the road, it pulls to the right abit, and when it hits an uneven spot in the road or a hole, it jumps to the left or right really fast and makes the car kinda scary to drive at times. About a month ago, it jumped on the road and almost put me into a 6 foot drop off the side of the road. I just replaced the centerlink and im about to replace the wheel bearings inner/outer on both front wheels. Can you guys help me understand what is making my car do this, and what I need? This is my first old car, and first time learning about cars also. Ohh and my transmission is an automatic 3 speed, and is missing a tube or hose from the modulator. Do I need to get something for the tranny or is it supposed to be like that?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Squirrelly front ends can be caused by just about everything. Strut rod bushings, lower control arms, upper control arms, idler arms, tie rods, center links, wheel bearings, or tires and rims. A good alignment shop will be able to tell you, but find a really old alignment shop. The new computer driven shops are worthless on classic Mustangs.
Best,
Al
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 AM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

Good morning al new man is right. you need to go through your complete steering assembly to find any flaws. my recommendation is to rebuild the complete system. idler arm is extremly important as well as all balljoint and tie rods. While your at it rebuild your front suspension.

As for your transmission, I assume you have a C4. There must be a hose connected to your modulator (vacuum) this controls your upshifts dependent on load/vacuum your motor is producing.

Enjoy your new ride those 200's are bullet proof! let me know if you need something else!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Kellel66

Thanks everyone, I figured the best thing to do is replace the whole suspension on the car. I'm going to do the wheel bearings on the front wheels and hope it helps alot for a while. I'm going to UTi to become a mechanic and while im down there, im going to have a job. I'm going to be getting a front end disc brake swap that comes with the v8 spindle and front handling parts. Do you guys recommend any sites besides NPD, MustangDepot, and Summit Racing. The site for my disc brakes im going through is Discbrakeswap.com
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Take a look at http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/products/
Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget your springs and/or ball joints. Springs helped, ball joints almost dead. Would have been VERY exciting to lose one of those at speed!

Good Luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

DO NOT mess around with a raggedy front end or cobble some crap together. Do it right!

True story.

I learned a harsh life lesson in high school when a very good friend was killed in his 1970 Mustang coupe because of a clapped out front end. We knew it needed to be replaced but being young & dumb that was a problem for next weeks paycheck right?

Something let go in the front end when he went over an abrupt rise in the road while he was trying to outrun the Word of God and the car literally uprooted a fully grown palm tree at about 90+ mph after running along a chain link fence. The boy who was riding with him said that when the car hit the rise and bottomed out the suspension on the other side is when it let go and the car did an immediate half-left maneuver.

The pipe that runs along the top of the chain link fence pierced the grill, knocked the carburator off the engine, punched through the firewall, and the dash then impaled him center of mass in the chest then proceeded through the front seat, back seat and out the trunk. He never knew what hit him.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 01-27-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 AM
5.0pntydrpr

The CSRP kit from discbrakeswap.com is spot on! I currently have that setup and love it. They have included everything you need in that kit and would buy it again if I had to do everything over.

I agree with the other posters about the bushings. To light a candle is to cast a shadow - if your bushings are loose, your steering will be also.