Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new guy here... need help with the '65!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Stage65

Default new guy here... need help with the '65!

hey there, my names Lantz. im 20yrs old from cincinnati ohio. iv got this 1965 mustang coupe with a '73 302 and a T5 5spd out of a 1990 mustang. iv owned this car for around 3 yrs now. anyways i can not get this thing to run. im really in need of help! it seems to be something electrical but im not to good with oldschool systems just yet. i spend most of my time on my 2005 powerstroke. anyways, this problem started last year and started getting worse and worse. now its to the point where it starts and may run for 30sec, and it just shuts off.. .no sputtering or nothing. just dies. heres a short video i made to help explain the problem. any help is appreciated!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Best, guess would be that the carb's needle and seat are cludged up from sitting and are not allowing fuel to freely flow into the bowls. After being shut down for a bit, enough fuel leaks past the restricted seat to allow the car to run briefly later when you attempt to start again. If you are satisfied that the fuel is not the issue, look at the distributor. At a glance, it appears as if you have a Mallory system, which, in my experience, can be a real PITA, expecially the electronic versions.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM
65M

I had a similar problem with my 65. It has a 351w 94 block but i have it carbureted and point style distributor . I had just changed the points and condenser and it ran fine for about 1-2 weeks then started just stumbling and die after a minute or so like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It turned out to be the condenser was bad even though it was new I just dropped a new one in and its been running fine since. Im not sure if you running points but if you are the condenser can do weird things when there bad
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM
65M

Ignore that post I didn't stream the video to see what kind of ignition you have. I would agree with Al Newman. If that isnt it the only other thing I would check is the fuel pump I had the original fuel pump in my mustang when I had the 289 in it go bad and when it first went bad it would only run for a few miles then quit
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Stage65

the only thing that makes me think it isnt the fuel is the car doesnt stumble or anything. as u can see in the video, it just dies... no sign of sputtering or anything. what you all think?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Stage65

Originally Posted by 65M
Ignore that post I didn't stream the video to see what kind of ignition you have. I would agree with Al Newman. If that isnt it the only other thing I would check is the fuel pump I had the original fuel pump in my mustang when I had the 289 in it go bad and when it first went bad it would only run for a few miles then quit
i just put a brand new fuel pump on it.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I think it is fuel. Take off the cleaner to look inside the carb and manually adjust throttle to see if the jets are spraying fuel. If it is not starting, spray a little starting fluid in there and see if it starts right up.
Dont try to have someone start it at the same time you are looking in, just in case it back fires on you.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Stage65

Originally Posted by noroof66
I think it is fuel. Take off the cleaner to look inside the carb and manually adjust throttle to see if the jets are spraying fuel. If it is not starting, spray a little starting fluid in there and see if it starts right up.
Dont try to have someone start it at the same time you are looking in, just in case it back fires on you.
it starts right up every time... but shuts off after a few seconds... doesnt sputter or nothing just dies. watch my video above!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stage65
it starts right up every time... but shuts off after a few seconds... doesnt sputter or nothing just dies. watch my video above!
Hi,
That sure does sound like a fuel delivery symptom. I would check the idle passage delivery system. Has the carb ever been serviced? What make carb? Are you pumping the the accel a few times before cranking? Then fires, runs a few seconds then dies? How about when cold (choke closed)? Have you checked the fuel inlet screen? (If still there).
Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Stage65

Found its my ignition coil is bad. Its taking in around 9v after the resister on the back wall, and its only putting out 4.5v. Does that sound like the issue to u guys?

Quick Reply: new guy here... need help with the '65!