Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 mustang 289 hipo motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Spears67stang

Default 1967 mustang 289 hipo motor?

Let me start i bought the car on a whim cause i always wanted a 1967 mustang since i was 7 years old im 38 now..so when i found one and it ran..i pounced on it.I didn't check if motor was original ect. it ran sounded awesome so i bought it.

Well i got it home and fixed brake's on it it has all Manuel drum brake's.
Then i decided i need to tune it up and order new plugs wire's laymen stuff as i am no mechanic..
but i had no idea what kind of motor it was lol yeah i know.
I found a receipt for a new fuel pump in glove box that said 289..it had 2 days left on warranty from autozone..so i took it off and told em give me a new one i think it was bad lol..they did so i got new plug's wire's and a valve cover gasket cause one was leaking.
It all runs good now.

But when i had valve covers off i noticed the springs set in little cast cup's and at first i kept looking as to why ive never seen that before.
then i noticed after i had valve cover on my carb on it wasn't running right
so i checked for worn or leaky vacuum hose's to it.so i naturally looked at the distributor and it didnt have any vacuum advanced on it to hook a hose.
So i open it up low and behold it's a dual-point distributor.

Well i took it to my local garage and the man tuning my carb got excited as heck..he said do you realize what in this car i said a 289 motor at least that what fuel pump and valve cover gasket i bought said lol
He said Man this is a 289 hipo motor.. i am like AND? lol
He goes on to tell me how someone would give a left lug nut for the motor...
I was gonna sale it as my wife can't even drive a stick to good lol
Now i am like do i keep it?
sell motor or what do i do...
Btw i checked vid number after all of this came up.
It said this 67 mustang coupe had a 6 cylinder in it..So at some time someone put this Supposedly 289 hipo motor and 3 speed Hurst transmission in it for what reason i got no idea.

But how do i know for 100% sure this mechanic is telling me the truth?
And if i check everything you say and take picture's as we go too to show you to be sure.
What is the motor worth does it make it worth money?
I am a flat noob when it come's to this stuff.
So explain in detail How to look for try not to make me take major part's of the motor apart i am a noob with walmart tool set lol
i assume there has to be number's on the motor or something somewhere idk.

Thanks in advance for all replies
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

What is the casting number on the block?

Start here: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...e/viewall.html
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Spears67stang

that's the problem i have no idea where to look for it at.
Left side right side under oil pan i honestly dont know lol

i read link you gave the distributor is exactly what they show no vacuum advance.
and when i had valve cover off changing the gasket the spring sit in little cup things too.
when it runs i thought i had a loose lifter clik clik click but once it warms up i cant notice it really.
it is dark here 10 pm and no flash light lol so tell me exactly where to look i will do it.
and promise to tell you number's in the morning
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

The Casting number will not tell you if it is a hi-po 289, but will at least establish if it is a 289 at all. Check near the oil pan for the K code vin. How thick is the harmonic balancer? The dual point distributor is not a strong indicator that your car has a hi-po engine.

Last edited by NoReins; 02-18-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The heads are hi-po's. The cast spring seat cups give them away. To really find out about the block, you need to pull the oil pan and check the main caps. Hipo main caps are thicker than standard caps. The crank also has specific markings, although I can't recall what they are. The crank and rods are particularly valuable if they can be identified as true Hipo units.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Spears67stang

Originally Posted by Starfury
The heads are hi-po's. The cast spring seat cups give them away. To really find out about the block, you need to pull the oil pan and check the main caps. Hipo main caps are thicker than standard caps. The crank also has specific markings, although I can't recall what they are. The crank and rods are particularly valuable if they can be identified as true Hipo units.
I am a noob on all this stuff so bare with me.
If i take the oil pan wont oil go everywhere and i need to buy a new seal for it?
and i wouldn't know what a standard cap even looks like to even compare it to.

So would i better off going to another garage or something and letting them check it and write everything down?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Spears67stang

Oh i read somewhere the harmonic balancer was wider with 3/8th bolts or something is this true also?
is so isnt it in front of motor i could check that easy enough
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Spears67stang

i was gonna look behind the starter then i saw its as big around as a 2 liter bottle and pretty big and i figured id mess something up to.
Ive never seen a start so big in my life ive seen little bitty ones littler bigger than a can of pop ect this thing is massive and scared me lol
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Block casting number will tell you nothing. Blocks were removed from the assembly line and hardness tested, and those blocks passing a certain hardness criteria were given an orange swatch of paint on the rear and sent to the HiPo assembly line.
There is no such thing as a casting number or even a stamped number on the block to identify it as a HiPo, even though MOST HiPo's had a stamped number around the base of the distributor to identify them with the original chassis the motor came in.
Balancer will be over 1" thick
Heads will have either "18, 19, 20, or 21" cast on the front knot of the head.
Heads will have cast pockets for the valve springs to sit in.
Heads will have screw-in studs.
Distributor is dual point
Carb has no choke, iether electric or exhaust heat type.
It would be highly unusual for someone to stick a true HiPo motor into a six cylinder chassis.
It would be hightly unusual for someone to stick a three speed behind a HiPo motor.
Although the motor is considered rare and collectible, today's technology has easily surpassed the output of that motor. I doubt, however, that you can sell the motor for enough to assemble and install another in it's place.
Best,
Al
Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Spears67stang

Balancer will be over 1" thick havent checked this.
Heads will have either "18, 19, 20, or 21" cast on the front knot of the head. it has 20
Heads will have cast pockets for the valve springs to sit in. it has this
Heads will have screw-in studs. and this
Distributor is dual point it has this allso
Carb has no choke, iether electric or exhaust heat type. someone put a edlebrock intake and a 4 barrel on it so i cant tell ya.

Quick Reply: 1967 mustang 289 hipo motor?