Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

considering buying a 66 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

Default considering buying a 66 mustang

i found a 66 mustang (289) for a decent price. and i also found a 1973 351w for 500.00. (you know where this is going)

i plan on new headers so it will fit, and a RPM intake (or what ever you recommend) along with MSD all around and a new Holley carb (600?). also a new cam possibly.(have no idea what to look for)

I plan on keeping the stock bottom end, heads and pistons for now until later down the road when funds allow.for now i want it streetable. HP for a good price.

what kind of Hp or 1/4 mile times or even 0-60 can i expect from this. i want a car that will be fun to drive and will be faster than most typical cars. im not to concerned about hp but more about acceleration times.

i don't know anything about building cars, esp when you guys start talking about cam lope but i can RR about anything.

thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

I would also be re gearing^
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

You would probably go as fast as you would with the 289 with that setup! 351s need heads to really wake up. Buy the edelbrock heads, cam, intake setup and get the 400hp it claims. If the car has the c4 auto in it, I wouldn't consider it street able with any gears over 3:73 unless you like going under 50 (that was one of the many mistakes I made).

Do a google search on the topic and you wll see many postings on the subject.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Stangatic
You would probably go as fast as you would with the 289 with that setup! 351s need heads to really wake up. Buy the edelbrock heads, cam, intake setup and get the 400hp it claims. If the car has the c4 auto in it, I wouldn't consider it street able with any gears over 3:73 unless you like going under 50 (that was one of the many mistakes I made).

Do a google search on the topic and you wll see many postings on the subject.
none of those edelbrock combos ever live up to the claims they make, seen it time and time again on the dyno........did a 68 cougar with one for a guy....288 rwhp through a c-4 so roughly 350 fwhp.........also said car had 4:11 gears and a 26 inch tire, ran 12.10's and was completely streetable and had a cruising rpm of around 2600-2700 @ 65 mph
Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

so is it possible to build these engines over time or do you need to do it all at once.

i would think that this would be the best way to start out in the business. and later get new heads.or would it be better to get new heads first thing.

what would you do in what order? I've done a lot of reading but the reason why im posting is because i don't have answer to my questions. (maybe im just a Google idiot)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

also what about a 351c instead. i read these heads are much better.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

My old combo, I had a c4 with 3:90 gears and would do 2700 at 55mph. Gas mileage was probably around 8-10 mpg. I guess I would say it wasn't street able because my exhaust exits out the side and would make you practically deaf by the time you got a mile down the road!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Gun Jam

4.11 with a 26" tall rear tire and a c4 with a final drive of 1:1 would not... no way no how provide the said 2700 rpm at 65...it would be instead 3500 RPM. Thats pretty fast for any reasonable lenght of time on the highway.

There are parts of the engine that you can indeed build overtime however A cam is matched to a set of heads, lifters are matched to the cam, push rods are matched to the head, and valve springs are matched to the cam and the head, the intake is matched to the heads, cam, valve size. So When it comes to major stuff its all done at once. You do heads, cam, intake, carb all at once.

-Gun
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Do it!
My son dropped a 351w into a '72 we own. Engine already built with a lumpy cam to which we added an Edelbrock carb and Performer intake. It totally changed the personality of the car over the stock 302.

How fast is it? I don't know the ET, but It feels fast when I step on the gas. I can hang the back end out when I want. I can always be the first one away from a light(not racing). For these reasons, I heartily recommend your project.

To address your concerns: Faster than most typical cars? Absolutely. Specific acceleration times? the assembled experts can help you figure out how best to achieve your desired ET.

Good luck! I hope this is interesting.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

can i run a 351ci with the edelbrock 400hp kit. and then later down the road stroke it to a 408 and still use majority or all of my top end efficiantly?

would it be better to do the top end first or the bottom end? I dont have the money to do both now. this will be my first time ever building either half of a motor.im young and ignorant but willing to take advice and learn.

Quick Reply: considering buying a 66 mustang