Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carburetor and Leaf Spring issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
mrivney

Default Carburetor and Leaf Spring issues

Hi all,

I'm helping my buddy with his '66 289 cu in. He's basically hasn't done too much mechanically. I had a '67 200 cu in. Mustang back in the college days (late '70's. I rebuilt the engine and did a few other things to it.)

I need some advice on direction for the following issues:

i. Carburetor - He's taken it to a few mechanics. They say it's leaking. (It's either a single or double barrel carb.) I'm suggesting to rebuild it for now since he wants to eventually put on a four barrel. I've rebuilt other carbs (but it's been a while). I know the rebuild kits are under $30. Question: how much time and how difficult?

ii. Suspension - The car is lower on the driver side. Plus, a mechanic said that one of the leaf springs is missing on the passenger side. Question: can the missing leaf spring be replaced? I was thinking of getting one from the junkyard and cutting it, if needed to size? Is this OK? What do you recommend and where to buy?

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Just a guess, here, but from the nature of your questions, here is my advice.
1. Locate and purchase a rebuilt carburetor or move ahead with the 4V carb changeover. Not wanting to do that, find someone knowledgeable to rebuild the present carb.
2. Most classic Mustang parts catalogs offer replacement leaf spring kits reasonably. Purchase one and find someone to install it for you.
Best,
Al
Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM
RC65
1st Gear Member

i. I rebuilt my carb with no prior experience, I don't remember how much time it took, but not much. Instructions with the rebuild kit were easy to follow.
ii. I would get a new pair of leaf springs and replace both sides.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RC65
i. I rebuilt my carb with no prior experience, I don't remember how much time it took, but not much. Instructions with the rebuild kit were easy to follow.
ii. I would get a new pair of leaf springs and replace both sides.
I wasn't going to respond to this post, but I just can't help myself.
Having rebuilt probably close to a hundred carbs over the years, it is my observation that most amateur hobbyists simply replace the gaskets and various needles, seats, and check *****, and re-set the float levels. Often times this is all that is needed, but not always. Sometimes, the worst thing that can happen to the hobbyist is to successfully rebuild a component best left to the professional, and carburetors can at times be a real handful.
As for leaf springs, true, they are not mechanically difficult to replace; however, a frozen front bushing bolt, a damaged rear shackle mount, or stripped threads on attaching U-bolts can be an absolute nightmare for the first-timer. The nature of the first post suggested that the folks perhaps needed at least a hand from a knowledgeable source. Just sayin'.
Best,
Al