Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

The Mustang wave

Old 10-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: The Mustang wave

Only rivaled by these young kids is a 1957 Chevy. Gawd, I wish I could afford a pristine 1957 Chevy, and a 1955-57 Ford Cown Victoria. I would especially love to own a 1955-57 /Thunderbird, with the two seat model and the opera rear windows.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:15 PM
CO_SKI_MANIAC

yeah the wave is pretty much like how people on harleys wave on the road (low open hand)...the head nod or the thumbs up is almost like a universal sign for the mustang owners...followed by a big-*** grin or smile...i have not heard of this happening with Chevy owners
Old 10-12-2005, 11:19 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Yeah, i love the old 55-57 belairs. I love my 62 impala. It's a dang nice car, and they ARE NOT a dime a dozen. I see a old mustang almost every day. I have almost never seen any old impalas cruising around.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:27 AM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

I am Mustang through and through, but the rest of the car guys in the family are Chevy. My brother-in-law is working on his '56 Nomad. It is a sweet car and you are right the tri-5 chevys are a lot harder to come by that the classic mustangs. If i didn't love my mustangs so much I would love a '49 or '50 Merc (lead sled).
Old 10-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Those old Mercs were great looking cars, especially after the top was lowered and all the chrome slicked off. I had one in college many moons ago, and it was a screaming demon. At least I thought it was at the time. But, you are right. It weighed about a zillion tons. Took about 6 blocks to get em stopped with the old drum brakes.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

No quarrel on the 57 Belair as an ultimate classic. Soaring's short list is the one many of us old guys would start with (my first cool car was a 56 chev 2-dr hardtop, bought when I graduated hs in 67; gawd how I abused it, and I'm talking about dumb cosmetic modifications, not just driving). I shopped for three years, reading want ads and making lists, before buying my 66 conv this spring. I chose Mustang because the name and the look are legendary.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Kathymach1

yes, I gets tons of waves, and thumbs up. It is a pleasure to drive her, and see the appreciation in the faces of the people we pass. Especially other mustang drivers. We get alot of thumbs up from the youngs kids as well. I enjoy it more so, because I get more attention with my car, then my husband gets with his 70 Chev. Impala ragtop.........................I can see his face turn slightly green.[:'(]
Old 10-21-2005, 12:29 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

you gotta love the mustang. it is the way. i was leaving school the other day and i saw my friend's in a car in front of me and they looked over and complimented my red '00(girls...they werent too big on the thumbs up i guess). lol, whenever i pop open the garage and push my 69er out into space and work someone will walk up and just start talking about their old days and the stang they had.

lol, neighbor has a classic something. I don't know if it's a bel-air but they are kind of loaded...
Old 10-21-2005, 01:47 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

The best praise is the stuff that comes from females my age. When I get a stare or a second look coming my way, it makes me feel a lot better to be sitting in a car with a black interior in 100 degree weather and a broken A/C. It's second only to getting a thumbs up from an older guy when he would just scowl at me if I was in any other car.

(And I'll be 20 in a couple of months)
Old 10-21-2005, 02:33 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

i had purchased my car when i was 14, mainly because i grew up around shelbys, high countrys, cal-specials, gt's and had to get one. Fortunatly for me my dad found mine (his best friends dad was selling it) I originally wanted to do dual quads on it and make it into a drag car, but relized the car was too uncommon for that. I eventually got addicted to concourse restoration, and now, even my dad admits mines nicer than his. I have had several thumbs up, even offers for my car, but cant imagine life without her.
I will say that the first year i brought the car up to Steamboat Springs for the Mustang roundup, i just entered the car in the rally cross, and when i was leaving the staging area, i was riding with my soon to be wife, and this jackass walks up and says, "hey nice car, cant believe daddy let you drive it though!" My girlfriend looked at him and replied "yeah you know what, your flys open and your d#% is hanging out...." I lit the tires up as he was looking down at his fly, and we both very politley gave him the bird.... That car has always been there for me and my fiance sure as hell is too! goes to show you, you cant judge a book by its cover (especially when your girlfriend never says anything like that at all!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Mustang wave