Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rod bearing gone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

Default rod bearing gone?

i' ve had just about enough with this overheating sh*** now. so, installed the new waterpump, installed the catch can that recirculates. start the engine, everything normal, get rid of all the air in the system so let it idle for like half an hour with the cap off, no bubbles to be seen and the engine gets only mildly warm at idle. so with everything okay i take it for a test run. first 10 miles below 2000 revs, gauge not even moving, so i'm already happy. next five miles a bit faster, 2500-3000 revs, still A-okay, then turned back over the freeway doing about 3000-3500 rpms, and i guess the outside temp is about 15°c, which is not warm but not freezing either. and then the temp starts to rise. to about halfway the gauge, which from experience i've learned is the point where it usually goes wrong...

take the exit, and stop at the traffic lights, heating up, continuing along towards home when i suddenly hear a really nasty sound coming from the engine, its like something is rattling inside, but only above 2000 rpms, if i take my toe off the gas it stops, engine still running though. get it back to the garage, shut 'r down. guess what, the catch can seems to work since no drop on the floor and after cooling down all the water is there in the rad. (didn't here it blowing out either, actually). start it again, engine runs normal on idle, but rattles like hell when i revv it to 2000.

so, rod bearing? main bearing? any predictions? won't know till i pull the pan, but i'm wondering if there is anything that could save my day by being another problem than a rod or main bearing....[:@]

i think she might be going for sale real soon, i' ve really had it with her now. for once i would just like to get in and go, without wondering what will break next (but thats besides the point...)[:'(]
Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: rod bearing gone?

It could just be a tappet that has come loose. Take it to a mechanic.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harald

i' ve had just about enough with this overheating sh*** now. so, installed the new waterpump, installed the catch can that recirculates. start the engine, everything normal, get rid of all the air in the system so let it idle for like half an hour with the cap off, no bubbles to be seen and the engine gets only mildly warm at idle. so with everything okay i take it for a test run. first 10 miles below 2000 revs, gauge not even moving, so i'm already happy. next five miles a bit faster, 2500-3000 revs, still A-okay, then turned back over the freeway doing about 3000-3500 rpms, and i guess the outside temp is about 15°c, which is not warm but not freezing either. and then the temp starts to rise. to about halfway the gauge, which from experience i've learned is the point where it usually goes wrong...

take the exit, and stop at the traffic lights, heating up, continuing along towards home when i suddenly hear a really nasty sound coming from the engine, its like something is rattling inside, but only above 2000 rpms, if i take my toe off the gas it stops, engine still running though. get it back to the garage, shut 'r down. guess what, the catch can seems to work since no drop on the floor and after cooling down all the water is there in the rad. (didn't here it blowing out either, actually). start it again, engine runs normal on idle, but rattles like hell when i revv it to 2000.

so, rod bearing? main bearing? any predictions? won't know till i pull the pan, but i'm wondering if there is anything that could save my day by being another problem than a rod or main bearing....[:@]

i think she might be going for sale real soon, i' ve really had it with her now. for once i would just like to get in and go, without wondering what will break next (but thats besides the point...)[:'(]
Hi Harald,

Man, I sure haven't heard of many with bad luck with a car like you're having.

As far as the noise, does it happen only when hot or even when you first start it?

Where on the guage is your oil pressure? If it's getting hot maybe your pressure is dropping and it's a lifter and not a rod. The odds may be against but don't panic until you at least check that out.

If it's a rod or perhaps a loose piston, or wrist pin, the noise will diminish greatly by pulling off the plug wire on the bad cylinder.

If the noise stays the same when removing plug wires one at a time, I would guess that it's either a bad or misadjusted lifter.

Are you sure it's not spark knock from the timing being advanced to far? You may want to try retarding the timing just a couple of degrees to see it that makse a difference.

Don't give up!!!

Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

wanna hear a good one? that's what i'm supposed to be...

(although there is a slight differnce between a steam turbine and an engine)
anyhow, could you please define tappet? my technical english isn't what it's supposed to be either...
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

hi cleve, yeah well, sh%%% happens i suppose. don't think it's the timing, it only just started during the test run and it sounds pure evil at 2000 revs. the pressure is normally in the middle of the gauge, but when it was overheating it was just under one quarter ... guess the oil got really liquid due to the heat. (good question, what oil do you guys use? i use 15W40 on a (real) mechanics recommendation.) its just that it started really suddenly so i'm guessing i'm outta luck on that. will try the test with each cylinder separately but will have to wait till 2morrow, 10PM here now ([:@]neighbours[:@])

now i need an emoticon that shows you're trying to break a smile when you don't really feel like it... well, you get the picture
Old 10-04-2005, 06:23 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

Hey Harald,

It sounds like you should have enough pressure. I run 10w40 in mine but dont drive it in the winter.

If it let loose all at once, I would have to say it's a valve lifter (tappet) or a rod gone. The lifter would be the easiest to check. From our previous threads, you became very good at adjusting valves!

Don't give up, there can't be much left to do on that classic!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I remember when my car over heated and the radiator blew.[:@]. We drove her on the freeway for 2 hours, and as soon as we hit traffic it started to overheat. we had to speed up to stop it. Of course we caught a red light and that was it the radiator blew open. I was freaked out i thought my engine blew because we heard a very loud pop. I swear my cooling system will stay up to par now.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

yeah jeff, not much left i guess, if only i would have found out what was causing that overheating problem none of this would have happened i think...

anyway, first of all took the covers off, valve train seems fine to me, nothing out of the ordinary in my book (and yeah, i've gotten to know the valve train pretty well haha). the weird thing is, it starts immediately, and under 2000 revs you don't hear anything out of the ordinary, not even tapping or anything similar, but rev it, and she starts to make a noise. on ice cold start up it seemed better though, a bit worse when hot but still better then yesterday for some reason. gonna try the test with the pulling of the plugs that you mentioned in a minute.

still, apart from this it makes me wonder even more what causes that overheating. i mean, rebuilt 24" rad with 3 rows, flex a lite six blade fan, milodon hipo waterpump, fixed coupling from fan to pulley AND no thermostat. jeez, what can cause that? anyway, i'll keep ya posted...

thx for the support yesterday, was really PO about it all.

be back later to inform on the test.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

A worn rod bearing will clack (make noise) at all speeds to include idle. So, it appears that you have some issues above the piston area of your engine. As I said before, take it to a mechanic to determine where the noise is coming from. And as far as your engine heating up at over 3K. Don't drive it over 3K. You obviously have an old worn out engine that probably has crub in all the water ports that needs to be cleaned out. If a good engine flush doesn't get rid of the crud, then a rebuild is in order.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:50 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harald

yeah jeff, not much left i guess, if only i would have found out what was causing that overheating problem none of this would have happened i think...

anyway, first of all took the covers off, valve train seems fine to me, nothing out of the ordinary in my book (and yeah, i've gotten to know the valve train pretty well haha). the weird thing is, it starts immediately, and under 2000 revs you don't hear anything out of the ordinary, not even tapping or anything similar, but rev it, and she starts to make a noise. on ice cold start up it seemed better though, a bit worse when hot but still better then yesterday for some reason. gonna try the test with the pulling of the plugs that you mentioned in a minute.

still, apart from this it makes me wonder even more what causes that overheating. i mean, rebuilt 24" rad with 3 rows, flex a lite six blade fan, milodon hipo waterpump, fixed coupling from fan to pulley AND no thermostat. jeez, what can cause that? anyway, i'll keep ya posted...

thx for the support yesterday, was really PO about it all.

be back later to inform on the test.
Hey Harald,

A quick question... Has this engine been rebuilt? Soaring brought up a good point about it having a lot of wear. I was under the impression it had been rebuilt.

If it has been recently rebuilt, maybe the head gaskets were put on wrong. On the waterjacket openings in the gaskets, they should be placed in the back of the engine. The front portion does not have an opening there. Just thinking out loud here.

Quick Reply: rod bearing gone?