Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension Decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Brianr390

Default Suspension Decision

I need help on what kind of suspension i should get for my 65 mustang. I know i want to do coil and not air. The car will be 100% street but i would still like to be able to corner great. I would like to be able to have the choice of going to the track and pulling good numbers and then driving home. This is all i know though after that i have no clue on suspension. I was wondering if i should get a kit like this http://www.cjponyparts.com/supreme-f...-1966/p/SUSK4/ or something like this http://www.cjponyparts.com/ron-morri...1966/p/SUSK60/ or just get a new front end like this http://www.cjponyparts.com/rod-and-c...3/p/RCK107P-V/ The last one looks best to me because i also want to convert to disc brakes and it looks like it would be the cheapest overall. What do i need to do the rear besides swapping in a 9 inch. Will someone please help me and show me some guidance.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Texagi95

I've just installed the Rod and Custom front end with coil overs, and it sits great!! No complaints. The car is still undergoing restoration, so I haven't driven it yet, but from what I can see and read, it's a pretty good set-up. I also went with the 2" drop spindles for it.

Oh, it doesn't come painted red (you have to do that on your own).
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Brianr390

Originally Posted by Texagi95
I've just installed the Rod and Custom front end with coil overs, and it sits great!! No complaints. The car is still undergoing restoration, so I haven't driven it yet, but from what I can see and read, it's a pretty good set-up. I also went with the 2" drop spindles for it.

Oh, it doesn't come painted red (you have to do that on your own).
Can you put up some photos of your ride height please. I am either considering this setup or the TCI IRS setup. I was also wondering if a IFS would work fine with a live rear axle. I am wondering this because the only IRS i have found for a 65 mustang is the heidts and it is over 7500. Most solid rear axles i have found were less than 2K. I want to have a nice ride feeling but still be able to go to the track and thrash it around so would i really need a IRS to do that or could i just buy a good solid live rear axle.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Texagi95

Originally Posted by Brianr390
Can you put up some photos of your ride height please. I am either considering this setup or the TCI IRS setup. I was also wondering if a IFS would work fine with a live rear axle. I am wondering this because the only IRS i have found for a 65 mustang is the heidts and it is over 7500. Most solid rear axles i have found were less than 2K. I want to have a nice ride feeling but still be able to go to the track and thrash it around so would i really need a IRS to do that or could i just buy a good solid live rear axle.

For some reason, I can't post any attachments right now. I'll upload what pictures I have to a hosting site later tonight and go from there. I have a Heidt's 4-link rear bolt in that will be mated with my 9" rear end, on order and it will be here next Monday. I've ordered it from Mustangstofear.com From what my builder and from what I've read, a solid rear axle with an IFS works just fine. BUT, you may want to do your own research.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Define good numbers.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Brianr390

Originally Posted by dodgestang
Define good numbers.
I don't have any real tracks around me where I live currently so I couldn't tell you right now but about 10s or 11s in the quarter mile would probably what I would be getting. I am going to most likely go with and independent front suspension and a solid rear axle. I have been in solid rear axle cars all my life so I would probably have to get used to a independent rear. I also have read that an independent rear would only have the advantage when cornering really hard and on a road that isn't perfect, which most tracks are perfect that I have read of at least. Also the independent rear I found for the 65 mustang is 4 times the amount of a solid live axle and I just don't want to pay that much.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 AM
mat11089
3rd Gear Member

I recommend the Ron Morris kit. You can either go with the ETI (easy to install) or the full coil over and tubular control arms setup if money allows. The quality of these parts is second to none and really works well. Not too mention the parts look great too. Just my .02. I have a ton of experience with these kits. What is your budget. There is also a really sweet coil over setup for the back that should be available within a couple months to compliment the front.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brianr390
I don't have any real tracks around me where I live currently so I couldn't tell you right now but about 10s or 11s in the quarter mile would probably what I would be getting. I am going to most likely go with and independent front suspension and a solid rear axle. I have been in solid rear axle cars all my life so I would probably have to get used to a independent rear. I also have read that an independent rear would only have the advantage when cornering really hard and on a road that isn't perfect, which most tracks are perfect that I have read of at least. Also the independent rear I found for the 65 mustang is 4 times the amount of a solid live axle and I just don't want to pay that much.
To put a 65 mustang in the mid 11s with a full road course style suspension setup you need about 400 RWHP (at least that's been my experience). You don't need anything fancy/exotic in terms of suspension either. Lowered upper a arms, boxed/reinforced upper/lowers, roller perches, good spring/shock choice, 1 1/8 sway bar, adjustable strut rods. In the rear 5 leafs will work just fine and the car will turn well. If you want to go 10s, you will want to properly set the car up for drag racing which involves a completely different approach to suspension design and parts to use. Click on the video link in sig....it shows my 65 in full street/road course trim at the drag strip (with the addition of drag radials)

Last edited by dodgestang; 05-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.