Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 Exhaust Upgrade

Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM
LIVE_AGAIN

Post 1966 Exhaust Upgrade

I recently bought a 1966 Mustang Coupe with a 1968 302 engine and I'm wanting to upgrade the exhaust system. It currently has headers but I have no idea what brand, they have a bit of surface rust so I had planned on replacing them. I was thinking along the lines of Hooker Tuned Headers, H or X pipe, and probably Series 40 Mufflers, so a total exhaust makeover. On the headers is there a benefit other than ease of removal/installation for shortys vs full-length? I know that X pipe is more effecient that H pipe, but are there other advantages between the two? And on the mufflers I figured Series 40 would give me good rumble but still control the sound so that it's not overpowering, any thoughts on the mufflers?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM
JamesW

muffler opinions differ like choice of tennis shoes. I personally think Flowmaster 40s (and even 50s) are too loud. Shorty headers are easier to work with and provide more clearance if you're going to be doing any additional mods like steering or T5 transmissions.

on my 65, I have Heddman shorties with a 2.5" magnaflow stainless steel system. After many prior iterations, this is the best I've found.
http://performancepeddler.com/catalo...m-p-30894.html
Best price is $407 for this system.

Last edited by JamesW; 05-08-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
muffler opinions differ like choice of tennis shoes. I personally think Flowmaster 40s (and even 50s) are too loud. Shorty headers are easier to work with and provide more clearance if you're going to be doing any additional mods like steering or T5 transmissions.

on my 65, I have Heddman shorties with a 2.5" magnaflow stainless steel system. After many prior iterations, this is the best I've found.
http://performancepeddler.com/catalo...m-p-30894.html
Best price is $407 for this system.
Thatg a a good price. I've the got the magnaflow on my 70 and really like them. I'm thinking I will do same set up on my 1966. Do you have cut out in your valance. Just curious how that lined up.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I went with Headman long tube ceramic coated headers and 2.5" Exh H pipe/Flowmasters 40's/Dr.Gas Tailpipes. I previously had 3 Chamber Dynomax Super Tubos but I wanted a louder muffler. So I'm happy with my setup.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM
LIVE_AGAIN

I appreciate the help guys . If there's anyone else with anything more to say I welcome it.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:25 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What do you want to do with the car? Different headers do different things. They put the power in different places, perform differently (albeit not that much differently from one another in most cases) and provide different clearance in different places.

I ended up going with JBA mid-length (shorty), and currently their h-pipe just cuz it bolts right up to their headers. It provides good ground clearance and is reasonable for maintenance access. I needed the ground clearance mainly for handling. Old Mustangs don't have specific provisions for exhaust routing, so it can hang down in some places. If you want your car to handle then it's going to get lowered, and that will limit your header choice for practical use.

There's no way you can run most LT's with a properly setup car for handling (talking autox, open track etc) and still have it be reasonable for the street. You'll be tearing header flanges up, and cutting gashes into collectors etc. If the car needs to turn, chassis improvements that give you better handling ALWAYS win out over minor improvements in power. A better handling car with less power is MUCH faster around a track where you have to turn then vice versa.

Basic rundown:

LT's - Best performance on the top end, and sometimes everywhere depending on the build, but highly limited ground clearance and often a pia for maintenance access.

Mid/short length - Reasonable performance everywhere, but not as good as LT's; but with superb ground clearance and reasonable maintenance access.

If it's a street performance car that'll go to the strip, or just run well on the street and won't be lowered much below stock, you can run LT's if you don't mind the maintenance clearance. But if you have any intent of making the car a serious handling car (talking a several thousand $$ investment into the suspension alone) then save yourself a ton of trouble and get shorties.

And you really get what you pay for with headers. If you want good fitting headers that lack clearance problems and perform well that won't rust or dent/gouge easily of they scrape....plan on spending around $600+
Old 05-18-2013, 07:16 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I've got hooker comps and magnaflow system on my 70. Nice sound. Im thinking of going with Dougs tri-y and magnaflows on my 66. I heard the tri-y will give you more low end torque
Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I went cheap and could not be happier.

I went with some stainless tri-Y headers off of Ebay for $170 (shipped) and a Shelby side exit exhaust system from Cj's for around $155 shipped.

It looks and sounds really good and is not overly loud. I do not find any performance restrictions with my mild motor from this system. I suppose if I had a bigger motor or a power adder I could add an X pipe, but I love the simplicity of this set-up.

Name:  IMAG0871.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  IMG00173-20110719-1552.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  80.5 KB
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
I went cheap and could not be happier.

I went with some stainless tri-Y headers off of Ebay for $170 (shipped) and a Shelby side exit exhaust system from Cj's for around $155 shipped.

It looks and sounds really good and is not overly loud. I do not find any performance restrictions with my mild motor from this system. I suppose if I had a bigger motor or a power adder I could add an X pipe, but I love the simplicity of this set-up.

I did similar set up and couldnt be happier i did the shelby tri-y headers, to tony branda shelby gt350 side exhaust sounds amazing just like it should straight out of the 60's.. can;t remember exact price but was under 500 for it all.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, what you pick is also determined by the engine. A mild 289 is going to need a completely different exhaust system compared to a 500hp stroker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1966 Exhaust Upgrade