Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

going to buy this car, what do you think?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

Default going to buy this car, what do you think?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3771459805.html

he said he will take 7500.00

it has 4 speed manual transmission but doesn't know what kind (toploader?)

look at the engine...notice there is no support bracket from the shock towers to the cowl. is this a big deal, he said it has never had it on there.

also has an electronic ignition no points he said.

this is my first classic car. im 24 and im pretty mechanically incline but dont know what to look for in these classics.

he said he wouldn't use it as a daily driver cause its a 50 year old car and is not as reliable as a newer car. i plan on driving this 200 days a year.

he also said its rust free

do you see anything you like or dont like? what about the price? good deal?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I would look the whole car over really good. He put a electric fuel pump on the apron, he doesnt know much about cars and who knows else is done wrong.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

On the shock tower supports, that is not a good sign.
If you are really interested, get a pair to see if the will line up within 1/2". There could be some permanent damage, IMO.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
I would look the whole car over really good. He put a electric fuel pump on the apron, he doesnt know much about cars and who knows else is done wrong.
he mentioned that he was having fuel issues every now and then. i was planning on cleaning out the tank anyways because he said it sits all the time and he drives it once a year.so ill just convert it back to mechanical.

Last edited by Daniel Lawrence Miller; 05-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
On the shock tower supports, that is not a good sign.
If you are really interested, get a pair to see if the will line up within 1/2". There could be some permanent damage, IMO.
all im finding is big aftermarket tubular braces and monte carlo bars. where can i find a stock looking one?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I would think any of the mustang houses would have them, but IDK...
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

i found a set on eBay for like 40 bucks. and im going to look at the car tomorrow
(2 hr away). if it turns out to be tweaked, can a frame straightening place get it back in align.or is that going to be allot of money.

he also said that he has gone through 2 electronic pumps and was gonna switch it back to mechanical if he had any more problems.

i talked to him today and said all i got is 7,300 and he said he will take that.
what do you guys think? from the pictures shown does that seem like a good deal?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:14 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by Daniel Lawrence Miller
he said he wouldn't use it as a daily driver cause its a 50 year old car and is not as reliable as a newer car. i plan on driving this 200 days a year.
I wouldn't believe him, especially since I DD one for about 3 years.

he mentioned that he was having fuel issues every now and then. i was planning on cleaning out the tank anyways because he said it sits all the time and he drives it once a year.so ill just convert it back to mechanical.
I'm not surprised since he put the fuel pump in the wrong location.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

i found a set on eBay for like 40 bucks. and im going to look at the car tomorrow
(2 hr away). if it turns out to be tweaked, can a frame straightening place get it back in align.or is that going to be allot of money.

he also said that he has gone through 2 electronic pumps and was gonna switch it back to mechanical if he had any more problems.

i talked to him today and said all i got is 7,300 and he said he will take that.
what do you guys think? from the pictures shown does that seem like a good deal?
If it's not too far off, simply removing the front tires off the ground may allow installation, no harm no foul. Otherwise, I would walk away.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

To me you sound like you have already bought it so there may not be any convincing you otherwise. CHECK underneath for rust and rot. Never let him say "oh I fixed that, it's just cosmetic" Blue carpet, black seats? Weird combo in my eyes. Radiator looks funky. I don't know it just seems like a hodge podge of parts or lack there of. Don't fall in love you will never walk away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: going to buy this car, what do you think?