Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

water leakage at bottom of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM
RPOHara

Question water leakage at bottom of windshield

When I drive my 1966 in the rain (which occasionally happens here in the pacific northwest), I get water dripping on my feet, and water puddling on the passenger side floor mat.

I feared the dreaded cowl leak, but after pouring several buckets of water down the cowl vent, the interior was dry. Further inspection revealed the cowl top hats to be intact with no indication of rust damage. This car, I believe, spent most of its life in the Palm Springs area, so perhaps things are OK in this area.

Pouring water onto the windshield did reveal a leak. I removed the dash pad and found that water is leaking from underneath the windshield rubber seal, through the speaker hole (I don't have a speaker in the dash), and onto the floor.

Question: do I need to pull the windshield and reinstall it? Could I just use silicone on the inside?

Hoping to be dripless in Seattle...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

Hello fellow PNW resident. As far as taking out your windshield it is a pretty straight forward process. I use a VERY sharp cutting blade eg, xacto, and slowly cut the seal around the window from both the exterior and interior. Working from the interior slowly and GENTLY place pressure on the window as you make your way around. The window should gradually give way. You might have to make several cuts on both the outer seal and the inner. After you get the window to break free from the seal then it is just a matter of cleaning all the non setting gasket material ford used around the base of the seal on the car. (not sure if I explained that clearly enough) If you feel this is not the route you want to take, you can take it to almost any windshield repair place and they can do a reasonable job for under 200 bucks so long as you supply the seal which is inexpensive. You might be able to source one from a mustang parts dealer in your area. Hope this helped.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

If your windshield gasket is not cracked anywhere, obtain a tube of non-hardening butyl sealer and apply a liberal amount outside the car between the seal and the windshield. You will have to remove the trim to get a good bead of butyl under the seal. The Mustang windshield MUST be sealed with butyl - NOT SILICONE, NOT CAULK. Glass companies are probably not allowed by law to seal the windshield with butyl, so you will have to do the ob yourself or take it to a Mustang repair facility or perhaps a shop that does headliners. The butyl is messy, and clean-up is time-consuming, but that is the only way you will properly seal the glass. If you choose to install a new gasket, put the butyl on the lip of the car, put the gasket on the windshield, and "rope" the windshield and gasket onto the car.
Best,
Al
Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Gun Jam

I had the same exact issue.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...oval-help.html
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 PM
RPOHara

Default butyl!

Al,
I will give this a go. And if it does not work I can always try to replace the gasket.

Question: why not silicone?