Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Default 68 Suspension

Hey guys. New project. I was wondering who to go to for a great price on a suspension kit with good quality. I do not like poly, it squeaks. Graphite cost to much. Who should I talk to? I want it all. Thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Maier Racing honestly. You'll probably spend the most money up front (especially on the leaf springs, but their leaves are bad-***), but their stuff is the best quality out there and functions the best. And they stand by it, so returning anything that's an issue or getting help is not an issue. They bend over backwards to help customers.

And after racing Classic Mustangs for some 20-30 years, they've gotten suspension down very well. You'll get the best performance with the smoothest ride of any factory configuration suspension (and they have the SCCA wins to prove it).

If all you need is something to replace worn out factory suspension, then you can get cheap stuff from most of the vendors out there, but the car will handle like crap compared to what it could do. So it depends on what you want....something that works for cheap, or something that works well.

The one thing you absolutely do NOT want to cheap out on though is the shocks. The shocks will have the single biggest impact on ride quality and control than any other part. Maier sells custom valved Bilstiens for the classics in several different valvings, and after having gone through a half a dozen or more different shock manufacturers over the years, it's the only one I can recommend at this point (other than Penske Racing shocks, which are way out of 99% of people's budgets).

I knew a guy with a 2007 Shelby Mustang, who after riding in my car changed his shocks out because he wanted his car to ride an handle like my 67. You'd be amazed what you can get a leaf car to do with the right parts.

How much is your suspension budget?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. Especially on the shock info. I am wanting to keep the suspension stock but quality with good bushing parts. I just know rubber sucks is all.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

So what are you looking to replace, bushings. springs and shocks only?

First you need to figure out what the goal for the car is, then figure out what you need to get there.

What are you expecting from the car?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

I want a daily driver and I am replacing every single piece under the car and eventually the power steering system with new parts.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What do you want out of it in a daily driver though? Just get you around and be able to control the car? A bit of handling, or something that shames a new Mustang?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

I am restoring this one for my daughter. I have a 72 Mustang with a built 351. I went with Laurel mustang and CJ ponys to do most of the work on that one. I was just wondering if anyone else was out there that had good grade parts for a fair price. On this one I am wanting a safe daily driver with a bit of go and a lot of comfort. I do not want her to wreck it. I will be doing the Shelby drop on the front end like I did my car and I will be using roller perches, again like mine. I will even be adding a posi rearend one I figure out if this is a 9" rear or not. I want the car safe and sound and easy to drive but not a racer. Oh and at over 440Hp in the new mustang you better bring a lunch if you think you are going to take one.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Then probably just typical springs from most places. Maier certainly has the best quality springs, especially the leaf, but they are among the most expensive (especially the leaf). I'd definitely recommend their street valved shocks though, you'll get the best ride quality.

And it's not that hard to get a Classic to outrun a new 5.0. A nicely built 347 stroker will make more power and weigh less than the Coyote. Then you stick it in a car that weighs less. The new Boss is 440hp, the standard 5.0 is ~420hp. With the tech these days, that's attainable in a pushrod 302, especially a stroker. You just have to be willing to spend the money to get the right parts (and most people aren't).
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

What is a new Boss 302?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's basically the new GT, but with modified heads/intake, different cams, and beefed up suspension/chassis. 444hp, and comes with adjustable suspension. Set up as dual purpose street/raod racing from the factory. They're around $40k iirc.

Quick Reply: 68 Suspension