Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Holley Carb 4452-1 spraying gas...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Parisontour

Default Holley Carb 4452-1 spraying gas...

Hey All,
Let me start this by saying that I am not tech savvy at all when it comes to hands on with mechanicals.

I just got a chance to get my 65 Coupe out for the Summer. I prepped everything I knew to do. I took the air cleaner cover off, sprayed a little starting fluid in the carb, pumped the gas a couple times and the car started right up. I got out to put the air cleaner cover on, I noticed a real strong smell of gasoline. I saw fluid collecting on top of the manifold and heard it dripping to the floor (yes, it was loud enough to hear over the engine). I jumped back in the car, turned it of and engaged my battery disconnect. A huge pool of gas collected under the car and on top of the manifold.

I cleaned it all up the best I could, inspected all the lines and connections to the carb and fuel pump. No leaks anywhere, so I connected the battery back, took the air cleaner completely off and started the car again. This time I saw exactly what was going on.

Attached are two pics. The first is the engine, the second the part of the card where the issue was. I do not know the proper terminology so bear with me. I believe it is a silver tube that connects the front float bowl to the rear float bowl. In the second pic, the high-lighted area, The gas was spraying a stream from were the silver tube enter the back bowl. Once the engine was shut off, it took almost another 30 seconds before the stream stopped.

Again, not being technically savvy, I'm not sure what my next step should be. Any help and or advice is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Holley Carb 4452-1 spraying gas...-img_0019.jpg   Holley Carb 4452-1 spraying gas...-img_0020.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

There's o-rings on both ends of the tube.They probably shrank or rotted.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...ages/4150.html
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Parisontour

Many thanks for your thoughts and the link, Iskwezm! My next day off is not till Tues so it will be a few days before I can relay any good news. Again, thank you you for your input!!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

That will help too. Dig around on Youtube for a better one. I used a video on my first carb rebuilt four years ago and now I know them blind folded. Basically, take it apart, keep the parts in order of the tear down and then replace all of the gaskets and O-rings. Buy a Holley rebuild kit from your parts store...make sure that you model is covered on the box. The parts kit will come able to rebuild more than one model of carb so there will be extra parts left over.

Don't over torque your carb bolts....you'll strip them. Tighten them a hair tighter after they normally stop and watch for leaks when you put it back on the car. If it still leaks just tighten those bolts a hair more until the leak stops.

James
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Parisontour

James!
Many thanks for taking the time to send your advice and the video! It is amazing what you can find on YouTube and I had not even thought to look there. I have the kit ordered and await its arrival.

Again, Thank you and have an awesome weekend!!