Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

8" backlash question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default 8" backlash question

Let me pose my rearend question in a different manner in the hopes of getting some feedback. I purchased a new center section, with new tracloc, and ring/pinion and dropped it in my coupe just before I started my restoration. I checked the lapping they had done and the pinion was centered on the ring, as should be. I dropped it in, broke it in, all was good. Noticed after roughly 200-300 miles I had a subtle whine, and eventually a clunk coming from the rear. The car has sat being restored for the last 2 yrs or so, no miles. Was under the car resetting driveline angle (dropped suspension) last week and turned the driveline by hand, noticed more play than the expected .0008-12 backlash. So...... I suspect the extra play has come from the bearings seating, and being broken in. I'd like to pull the center section and recheck backlash, to insure nothing is damaged. I have the dial indicators and tools to do this work, but have never worked on a rear end. Doesn't seem difficult, and don't intend to break the unit down, just double check side load followed by another lapping to check ring/pinion mesh. Have any of you done this with positive results?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Prolly the pinion nut coming loose. Or not properly tightening to begin with. If a bearing collar or race wasn't completely seated, once everything settles you lose preload on the pinion bearings and the pinion gear ***** to an angle under load.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

To answer the question. Yes, pull it out and take a look. You could possibly re-torque the pinion nut if it has a shim set and not a crush collar. If you find that it was wearing in a bad way, then take it in. Or try it yourself. I learned a lot by doing my own rear end work, especially how to lock up the rear by over torquing the pinion pre-load.

I took my rear in to be set up the second time around and then realized I shouldnt have skimped on my gear selection, cheap gears meant whining gears for me.

Take a look at it.