Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

VIN locations

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: VIN locations

Bottom line, if it is 4 lugs, and they are original, then it is a 6 banger from the factory. There is absolutely no way that anyone would take a 5 lug V8 down to a 4 lug on purpose.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
davin

to switch the running gear & the axles & spindles is to much work .... the obvious answer is that the door is a replacement .. 7 somewhere some how the vin has been swapped with the DMV if you title maches the door plate. The smartedst thing to do is to wirewheel that fender & get the true VIN. just be sure to tape off the body do you can attempt to feather the black back in ofet you get it thinned out some.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

there is no doubt it is a 6cyl but to really tell where its from you might have to pull the drivers side fender to see it. all mustang vins prior to 68, had there vin stamped on the apron it should start liek this 5f01txxxxxx im assuming its from dearborn but you vin will break down like so...
5= year f=dearborn -or-r=san jose 01=2door coupe t=six cylinder xxxxxx=consecutive number on assmbly line,to find out the correct door tag may be a task not easily won. first off, if you look under the carpet, the back seat, or in the front seats, you might be able to find a build sheet. these were usualy left behind when traveling down the assembly line to tell workers what the cars interior/exterior options were. if no luck there look on the passenger side fender or passenger front radiator support for what is known as a buck tag, that too will tell you what you need to know
Old 10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gta289

there is no doubt it is a 6cyl but to really tell where its from you might have to pull the drivers side fender to see it. all mustang vins prior to 68, had there vin stamped on the apron it should start liek this 5f01txxxxxx im assuming its from dearborn but you vin will break down like so...
5= year f=dearborn -or-r=san jose 01=2door coupe t=six cylinder xxxxxx=consecutive number on assmbly line,to find out the correct door tag may be a task not easily won. first off, if you look under the carpet, the back seat, or in the front seats, you might be able to find a build sheet. these were usualy left behind when traveling down the assembly line to tell workers what the cars interior/exterior options were. if no luck there look on the passenger side fender or passenger front radiator support for what is known as a buck tag, that too will tell you what you need to know
Not all plants left the buck tag on the car. Or rather, not all plants used buck tags (build tags) I believe the Dearborn did not, but the San Jose did. Or vice versa. On a rare occasion you will find a build sheet either under the driver's seat or under the dash. If you do find one, it is probably not legible though because of the age of the paper.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM
kramerfd

I'll look for the build sheet but the interior has been refinished at some point. I'm due to meet with a guru tomorrow who should be able to answer everything. I'll let you know. My computer's drivers are fried so I have not been able to upload pictures yet.