Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

General advice for a new project?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 PM
asanchez_hb

Default General advice for a new project?

Hey guys,

I've had my '66 Mustang for a couple of years now but have just finally gotten to a place where I am able to start putting some work into it. The more research I do, the more I am beginning to see that what I want to do is going to be a bit of an overhaul and because I am pretty new to the automotive restoration/restification game I was wondering if I could get some pointers about how to start.

Right now, what I have is a 1966 Mustang with a dual range C4 automatic trans. and a stock 6 cyl. 200 cu. in engine.

This is basically what I am thinking (and I hope it isn't sacrilege!):

I LOVE the look of my car but have never been one who cares for getting a lot of power or speed or noise. What I want is a car that looks good but is dependable, which for me includes things like maximizing MPG and installing better brakes and steering, etc.
Truth is I'm not completely sure where to start, because I'm unsure what modifications are going to help improve things like MPG. What I've gathered from some preliminary research is that there aren't a lot of improvement mods for my engine type, so I'm looking to improve that first. It appears as though a V8 is the way to go, because even though that might have an initial drop in MPG, could the mods available to it bring it up to a better place than my V6 is now?

Anyway, that's basically where my head is. I don't care as much about restoring the car to its original glory, or (as I said before) maximizing its power or speed necessarily. I care about making my car look good and run well; I want this to be my day-to-day car. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Thanks so much.

Andrew
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you're not concerned with power, speed or noise then I'd leave the straight 6 in there. They run like sewing machines and can get killer gas mileage. You're going to play hell trying to get a V8 to match the mileage of the sixer.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 AM
asanchez_hb

Thanks for the tip. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. My car isn't in terrible shape and the more I keep doing research the more I think it would make more sense to just tune up what I've got in there (plus I've found some places that do make improvement parts for the straight six).

A quick question about lingo: I'm noticing a lot of engine parts or mods identified with a "# CID". My assumption is that what I've got is a 200? I'm basing that off of the info I've mentioned above.

So now I guess I'd like to ask: What would be the best way to begin going about restoring/rebuilding my engine? All things considered, it is working considerably well but could certainly be cleaned and fixed up. The only literature I can find about rebuilding Ford engines don't cover a 200 (they start at a 221 and up) so I'm having a hard time finding resources specific to my engine type. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
Until the engine starts to cough, smoke, and make rattle-ly noises, ....clean her up, tune her to the "9s" and enjoy the old girl for awhile. All the while, put a plan together as to what systems you want to fix up. My suggestion...start with all of the safety/reliability systems first. Enjoy the summer cruising...
Happy Motoring!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

^yup^
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I've had my '66 Mustang for a couple of years now but have just finally gotten to a place where I am able to start putting some work into it. The more research I do, the more I am beginning to see that what I want to do is going to be a bit of an overhaul and because I am pretty new to the automotive restoration/restification game I was wondering if I could get some pointers about how to start.
OK, this is a good place to discuss that.

Right now, what I have is a 1966 Mustang with a dual range C4 automatic trans. and a stock 6 cyl. 200 cu. in engine.
Good combo. Reliable and strong.

This is basically what I am thinking (and I hope it isn't sacrilege!):

I LOVE the look of my car but have never been one who cares for getting a lot of power or speed or noise. What I want is a car that looks good but is dependable, which for me includes things like maximizing MPG and installing better brakes and steering, etc.
Lots of ways to do that without even changing the appearance of the car.

Truth is I'm not completely sure where to start, because I'm unsure what modifications are going to help improve things like MPG. What I've gathered from some preliminary research is that there aren't a lot of improvement mods for my engine type, so I'm looking to improve that first. It appears as though a V8 is the way to go, because even though that might have an initial drop in MPG, could the mods available to it bring it up to a better place than my V6 is now?
Ski season will open in hell before a V8 ever gets the kind of mileage your 200 will get with a simple tune-up. And it's an I6, not a V6.

Anyway, that's basically where my head is. I don't care as much about restoring the car to its original glory, or (as I said before) maximizing its power or speed necessarily. I care about making my car look good and run well; I want this to be my day-to-day car. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me!
OK, a properly tuned 200/C4 should be getting 20-25 mpg, depending on where you drive. What are you getting now?

You'll get 25-35 if you remove the C4 and use a T5 5-speed manual trans, but if you drive in stop and go traffic like I do, it'll be a real chore.

Must have for your car would be a suspension upgrade. What you have predates radial or even belted tires. First, incorporate the Arning/Shelby "drop". Should have been factory. Add an export brace (the good one) and a 1" front sway bar. You'll think it's a whole different car.

http://www.mustangbarn.com/PDFs/Arni...ion%20Drop.pdf

If you want better braking than the 9" drums provide, use the Scarebird setup to add front discs. Inexpensive, and a major upgrade, and allows you to keep the wheels and tires you have now. Add the Master Power Brake repro booster if you need easier pedal pressure.

Borgeson power steering would be the best way to get power steering in your case.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-21-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 AM
asanchez_hb

Sweet, thanks so much for your help! Right now I'm getting about 15 miles to the gallon, which is already better than I would have expected out of a car this old so I'm optimistic about where it can go. I'm gonna get to work today so I'll keep you all posted with more questions and updates as they come!

Thanks again.