Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How much ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Collins2209

Default How much ???

I'm inquiring about how much I should sell my 66 Coupe for... Here are my details. I live in the SF bay area.

66 coupe, painted in 1998. It has been garaged the entire time I have owned it. The paint is in really good shape. It is 1970 Grabber Green with white stripes.
It was my daily driver for about 5 years. There is rust spots in the drip rails above the doors(Paints lifting, not literally exposed metal). There's a dent in the roof from a baseball, and a dent in the right side area just behind the door. Primered fiberglass hood.

It has a 289/4 speed combo. Motor has only 42k since rebuild. That was the original rebuild. I have since added Edelbrock RPM heads, Air Gap intake, Demon Road Carb, Harland Sharp rollers, full tube headers, Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. It also has a brand new (less than 100 miles) Currie 9" rear end/axles/pumpkin with 3.89 gears. Brand new KYB shocks, new bushings on sway bars, new springs in front, reverse eye leafs in the back. New mini starter as well.

The cons I know of the car. Interior needs to be redone. By redone I mean, 2 new seats, repaint dash, sill plates, kick panels, speedo quit working. Its in pretty good operational shape. Starts up every time, runs really good(fast!)

I got this car when I was 16 as a rolling frame. Me and my dad put it together. It was awesome for a long time, but it has sat for the past few years. I drive it about once a month to just keep it going. Id say its probably only worth 8k, but my dad seems to think if fix up what I mentioned was wrong, I could get like 12k. Opinions? If you get to here thanks for reading. Ill understand a TLDR response.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

With rust,body damage and needing a interior, your expectations are a little high. Without seeing it i would say 4500-5,000.This is based on ME seeing cars with clean bodies and interiors asking 5500-6000.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Here in AZ i would be with the post above however, coupe prices have started to rise in the last few years. your car seems to have quite a few issues for a buyer to negotiate with but 7-8k should should be doable.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Collins2209
The paint is in really good shape.

Originally Posted by Collins2209
There is rust spots in the drip rails above the doors(Paints lifting, not literally exposed metal). There's a dent in the roof from a baseball, and a dent in the right side area just behind the door. Primered fiberglass hood.

So... this is your definition of paint being in really good shape? lol.

$4k, if the rust isn't ridiculous.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Don't sell it.

I have NEVER met anyone that had a classic muscle era car they sold, that didn't regret it later. Every single one would sing "I should have kept it."
Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Market is getting better but still low. These are recreational vehicles, So someone has to have extra cash.. You see the dilemma. 4-6K is where I would price it to sell, 4K it needs to be painted with bodywork to 6K paint is OK. Throw on a new paint job and you might get 8K. Now if you restore the car so all the interior is correct and all the suspension is proper and the motor is reliable you can get 13K or more. For what you have you can ask more and get it but you will have to wait for the buyer to find you..

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Let's ask VistaBlueFrank68

Name:  qgU6V2i.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  982.2 KB
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

if you need the money or don't have the space you could sell it pretty quick but your going to lose money on it either way, whether you do anything else to it or not.

the plus side is coupes are a dime a dozen and if down the road you want another, it wont be hard to get.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Collins2209

Ive been told a 1000 times to not sell cause Ill regret it. I dont need the money but could use it. Im saving up for a down payment on a house.

Thanks for the replies though. Ill assume Waffles comment is an inside joke for the board.

Ill take it for what it is. Its just going to be a few years before I actual can do anything with this car. I also have 2 sons. A 2 and a half year old and a 15 month old. So my priorities are in a different place right now.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Hey Waffles, I had a 1970 Mach 1 - you have 1970 Mach 1 - We have 1970 Mach 1's - We both must have good taste. As I drive an 18 wheeler more miles every month then most people drive in a year, I see things like broke down cars.

1. Old dudes restore nice cars they love and their Wives will have to sell them, they don't break down. Cheap fixes I see on the side of the road all the time. Unless you're going to keep it or someone wants to already buy it, I wouldn't spend a dime.

2. Waffles I wish you were one of my soldiers in the Army, I can't make you smarter but I can make you stronger, knock-em out Waffles

3. I'll grow on you all. I noticed you even took the time to develop a neat clip for my edification. I'm sure you giggled while making it.

4. Unless I get Moderated, I look forward to more Waffles and Sarcasm. Buda said think twice and say nothing, I prefer Atlantis Morrisset "it's the good advice you just can't take".

5. May I quote you in my posts? "Let's ask VistaBlueFrank68" Waffles.

Later

Last edited by VistaBlueFrank68; 06-22-2013 at 12:16 PM.