So a quick update
Did a oil change and went all out and got Royal Purple. Car runs slightly cooler but still gets around 200-205 in 80 degree weather with humidity doing highway speeds. The dual fans work great. With both of them off the engine cools to the point that I hit the temp where thermostat would close.
Burped the coolant a few days ago on a hill...waited till the the therm opened up and ran it. Coolant expanded almost to the point where it overflowed. Dont know if I should have done it for longer. Could it be overfilled? I have a overflow thingy but its always empty.
Couple of thoughts/possibilities:
- Timing could be off? She runs very smooth and has a Pertronix 2 with the resistor wire bypassed.
- If my termostat was in backwards wouldn't the highway pressure be pushing the termstat closed or partially close?
- Could the carb be tuned to thin? Again we are talking in the 2100-2400 rpms and it take a while for the heat to build (does not overheat but AC is off)
- I had my torque convert stall speed increased (2200 I think) so probably getting some slippage? Trans temp in the deep pan rarely goes over 150 and I have a cooler but could the slippage be causing extra heat.
- Heat builds quicker on uphills which couple with a hipo oil pump and a regular pan could the engine be pumpin the oil too quick while the rest slides to the back? Again it seems a little weird that I would need a baffle for street driving.
- I still thing the primary issue is probably the AC condensor blocks the air and there is too big a gap. Anyone with AC please let me know how close you have your condensor to the rad. I can move them together but its going to be a pain.