Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sold engine, did I cheat this guy

Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

I don't think you owe him a thing. Buyer beware, and if he paid that much for an engine in that condition well it's on him IMO. "Used" means it could be in any condition and an intelligent buyer would know this and be very careful. You are not Costco or Wal mart and can give refunds with a receipt......but if you do more power to you.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I agree with thunder.. However you did say that you would work with him on it. The guy should have haggled a price and been done with it.

You really dont owe him anything. He knew what he was getting into.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

how would you feel if this was the other way around? would you be on here telling us about how you got ripped off? not accusing you of anything just reminding everyone about the golden rule.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Frankly as cheap as a 302 is nowadays if I came across an engine in that shape for 1000.00 I would have walked away and not even considered it. An engine that sat for 3 years after supposedly running good, missing a freeze plug to "drain" the coolant? Yeah buyer beware is what I think. As far as the Golden rule? No, if it were me and I was foolish enough to take that kind of risk I would just be quiet knowing I made a mistake and should be more careful.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

you didnt cheat him it was sold on craigslist as is i take it. really its on him he payed the price. he could of bargained
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

If he would have seen those things up front how much would you have went down? If concerned I would offer a refund up to that amount - really dont owe it to him though. Since you said yud work with him even if was another issue - kind of opened the door.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

I know you feel bad, but the way I see it you had an engine that was sitting and couldn't be started. I would have negotiated a price based on that. I have learned not to read into things. You didn't mislead. People never ever want to be responsible for their actions anymore. I got burned by a seller with a T5. I didn't pay much, but all the same it wasn't what he "claimed" it had a grind between 1st and 2nd. Oh well lesson learned. You didn't claim anything so it's on him.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Here are pics he sent me, thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Sold engine, did I cheat this guy-img957649.jpg   Sold engine, did I cheat this guy-img957485.jpg   Sold engine, did I cheat this guy-img959243.jpg   Sold engine, did I cheat this guy-img956767.jpg  

Last edited by dmaclaren; 06-25-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Thanks all for the info. I laid it out that I didn't know anythig other than what I was told and showed hi all I saw on it. rankly, I only removed on panel of the crate box until he came over and we all removed it to see the full motor. He saw all of it and I said if it was siomething like broken or cracked head I would work with him. Kind of thinking he wanted a perect engine for cheap cash. If he won't run it then I can't even consider returning anything back, seems he doesn't want to put in the time to do that.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I think this one is on the buyer. If you had said, "no problem with this engine, it will run" I would think you would give him his money back. But you didn't make any guarantees. If you were up front about the information, he assumed all the risk when he agreed to buy it. That being said, if he didn't hurt the engine, and you want to give his money back, you don't really lose anything. You end up right back where you started. But I don't think you screwed him regardless of what you decide to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sold engine, did I cheat this guy