Classic Mustangs (Tech)Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
A few months ago we brought a new pony into the stable. We've been looking a long time for a project that required no rust repair and would serve as a good candidate for my first paint job. A local mustang enthusiast put his project up for sale, and after following his build thread for the last couple years we knew it was the one. She wore Acapulco Blue with white clarion knit vinyl, and that is what she will be. Lucky for us, the car came with all the paint and clear, and a whole bunch of other beautiful interior parts. It also came with a rebuilt 351w and we will use a t5 that we have had in storage. We will restore as many as the parts as possible with an aim to restore the car to stock, with a slight restomod twist.
We got it home and started playing with her right away. Our plans are to first get the car running and drive it for a little while in primer. We can take our time and eventually get to paint later on.
On to the pictures. We got the car home and lined up the sheet metal as well as we could. The previous owner had the car blasted and epoxied, and the black that you see now is Evercoat featherfill. Once we block it down, we'll spray more epoxy and finalize gaps and body lines.
We pulled the rear suspension and put the car on the rotisserie to strip and re-spray the bottom of the car.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
We liked the finish of the paint that he had put in the engine bay but we had to weld up a few things and had a hard time blending the finish back in. We went ahead and stripped it and sprayed with reduced SPI epoxy. Now she's ready to rock.
We repainted the engine block and the valve covers...
We have been refinishing some of the engine components and plan to drop the engine in hopefully this weekend. I started blocking the body with 80 while Aaron was cleaning and assembling the front suspension. After it was ready for epoxy we taped off the openings and sprayed two coats of SPI epoxy.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware
corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford
Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor