Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

I have a mechanic who still swears by drum brakes. He tells me that most people also fail to realize that drum brakes need to be re-radiused as they wear to ensure maximum surface area.

Nothing wrong with drum brakes, if properly set up and maintained.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

I've just been to the garage and I'm starting to believe that the clicking sound is coming from the brake pedal (just when you let go after pushed it down pretty far).

I will let you know more tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 120mm
I have a mechanic who still swears by drum brakes. He tells me that most people also fail to realize that drum brakes need to be re-radiused as they wear to ensure maximum surface area.

Nothing wrong with drum brakes, if properly set up and maintained.

Me and my buddy with a 67 Camaro used to say the same thing. Four wheel drums and we could stop the car with little effort. Now, when you look at my vid, it was made with drum brakes. That was the last time the car was on the road with drums. Ok for the quick trip to town and back, but if you're using them repeatedly to stop hard. LOOK out.. I missed the driveway a couple of times.
So I replaced the drums, had my buddy take my car out for a spin.. You need to know that he has had his car for 20+ years with drums, squawking that there is no problem with drums.

He replaced his with 4 wheel disc that same summer after driving mine.. I will not tell you to change them, but I will tell you that there is a huge improvement over drums.

I have a manual, 4 wheel disc setup. 6 piston up front and 4 piston out back.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

I have front discs, btw.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Sparkiewalt
1st Gear Member

drum brakes sux...get front disc kit. if they are clicking something is wrong. I am all about 4 wheel disc brakes..but at least the front brakes. no comparison on stopping distance.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

For what it's worth, over time brake shoes wear grooves in the backing plates where they are in contact. These grooves eventually develop lips that the shoes hang on when the brakes are activated. This hang up produces a sound much like a clicking. Check the back plates to see if they show any wear. If you see any wear, you can repair by mig welding up the grooves and grinding the surface flat. If the groove is really small, you can simply grind the surface flat. Good luck.
Best,
Al
Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the ideas!

I removed the drum and everything looks excellent. I can also state that the click-sound is not the adjuster working. It is coming from the pedal since my friend was looking at the adjuster when I was pushing the pedal. You can almost feel it in the pedal.

I also took the opportunity to manually turn the adjuster so that the distance is a litte bigger to the drum so the left side should not apply more than the right side.

I have learned that the adjuster only works when braking in reverse. But the klick-sound seems like a mystery.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Now, do you just hear the click when you apply pressure on the pedal and is it clicking in intervals or just one click when the pedal is pressed?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

It is one klick. It is difficult to be precise when you hear it, but I would say that it occurs just when you are releasing the pedal after you have pushed it far. It does not occur if you push the pedal slightly.

It is also difficult to see under the steering wheel. Is there a return spring that could make this sound?

Bye the way, that is a cool Mustang that you have.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Thank, you..

The click maybe the brake light switch or the pedal bushing that is located where the pedal pivots on the support bracket may be cracked. I've seen both make a click (once) noise.

Hope this helps..

Quick Reply: Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?