Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

I think I have found a possible problem since I noticed that the rubber boot push rod was bent inwards (I probably pushed the pedal to far when bleeding the brakes). This might have affected the brake pedal not returning all the way. I also noticed that the rubber boot was leaking brake fluid.

I went all in, removed all parts and gonna order new parts. I will let you know how it goes so we can close this thread. I can also mention that the "klick sound" that I mentioned before in a previous reply was coming from the push rod.

Compare pictures and you will se what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?-0.jpg   Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?-1.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Hello!

It has been a while, but I have finally solved the problem. I changed master cylinder, push rod with new rubber boot and new brake hose. I also found sediment in the left brake line when blowing air through the line.

The car was only pulling to the left when braking more heavily and what finally did it was manually adjusting the star wheel on booth sides back and forth until the car did not pull to the left. I must have adjusted them about 15-20 times, listen, feel, brake, some test drive etc. I also noticed that the self-adjuster function did not work on the right side (I could adjust the star wheel in any direction without pushing the lever). The "klick sound" disappeared when changing push rod and rubber boot.

I guess you have to very patient with drum brakes, but when they are properly adjusted they are good.

Last edited by Gasoline; 11-14-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 AM
GaryNevill

Default Re: Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?

As the brake linings wear, the shoes must travel a greater distance to reach the drum. When the distance reaches a certain point, a self-adjusting mechanism automatically reacts by adjusting the rest position of the shoes so that they are closer to the drum. Here, the adjusting lever rocks enough to advance the adjuster gear by one tooth. The adjuster has threads on it, like a bolt, so that it unscrews a little bit when it turns, lengthening to fill in the gap. When the brake shoes wear a little more, the adjuster can advance again, so it always keeps the shoes close to the drum.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:52 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Ummm he found the problem and how the adjusters work has been beaten to death. Thanks for the info though.