Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Default Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?

Hello!

I can hear the front drums on my Mustang 1971 self-adjust (klick sound) when braking in forward, in neutral and in reverse - is it suppose to do that?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:22 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gasoline
Hello!

I can hear the front drums on my Mustang 1971 self-adjust (klick sound) when braking in forward, in neutral and in reverse - is it suppose to do that?
No, Just in reverse for tension adjust.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Are you 100%?

According to this link it seems to work in forward and reverse since I have a cable type: http://books.google.se/books?id=OP0X...orward&f=false
Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gasoline
Are you 100%?

According to this link it seems to work in forward and reverse since I have a cable type: http://books.google.se/books?id=OP0X...orward&f=false
We are dealing with American cars.
If it's on the internet, it must be true. I like when people question answers and not just accept what someone "thinks" is right.. And I'm not always right..

I too can quote the internet..
Self-adjusting drum brakes employ even more parts. All Mustangs prior to 1994 have self-adjusting drum brakes. The self-adjuster consists of a cable, pivot hook, and return spring, and it only works when backing up and applying the brakes. As the shoes contact the drum while backing up, the pivot hook (tied to the cable, shoe, and return spring) moves away from the star-wheel adjuster, then returns, moving the star-wheel adjuster, thus moving the shoes closer to the drum. When properly maintained, self-adjusting drum brakes work quite well, but they quit working whenever the pivot hook is damaged. They also quit whenever the star-wheel adjuster ceases. A good rule of thumb is to inspect the self-adjuster for proper operation any time you repack wheel bearings or rotate tires. Get familiar with your drum brakes. They can save your life.

Read more: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...#ixzz2XMzRLhFT
Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Just another source chiming in here, but yes they only work in reverse. You may want to find out what that clicking is.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 AM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

I hear a click sound that is heard only once when I press the brake pedal far. It occurs regardless of forward, reverse or idle and I can hear it despite the very loud engine noise.

The thought occurred to me that it is left adjuster making the sound because I recently changed springs, cylinders, hoses, adjusters, etc. in the front brakes and have a little uneven braking values.

I´m gonna let a friend look at the adjuster when I brake. Front right brake is ok. Any ideas regarding the klick sound?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:38 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Have you thought of upgrading to disc brakes up front? I owned a 67 Camaro and I was
racing a buddy in a C10 pickup as I hit 90 mph passing him I had no brakes, jumped a big ditch after crossing a Hwy. Scared the bejesus outta me at 16 years old. Just sayin.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Sounds like something wasn't put back together quite right or something let go.

Pop off the drum and see if you see anything obvious.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

I will have a look tomorrow and let you know (I hate unfinished threads)

Any ideas what could cause the klick sound? Maybe i pushed the pedal to far during bleeding. Would it even be possible to hear the adjuster working when the motor is running?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I've never heard them adjust.

I don't know how you could push the pedal down too far during bleeding because when you 'burp' the bleeder valve the pedal goes to the floor.

Take off the drum and see what's what.

Quick Reply: Do drum brakes self-adjust when braking in forward?