Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Removing exhaust manifold on a 1967

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM
InvisibleMan

Default Removing exhaust manifold on a 1967

Okay so I'm putting in new exhaust manifold seals into my 1967 200ci and can't get two of the bolts out. First is the one on the underside right next to the alternator, closest to the fan. I've removed the alternator, as well as pivoted the arm out of the way. If I can't get it soon, I'll be removing the coolant tubing also.
The second bolt is the one on the underside right next to the starter. I will soon be removing the started to get at that one.
But before I go and tear my car up for two frustrating bolts, I was hoping someone could give me a clever idea for removing pesky exhaust bolts that are rusted in there since what seems like 1967. Any help will be must appreciated
Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 PM
InvisibleMan

EDIT: I should also say, more for confirmation by someone else, that I cannot for the life of me fit a 14mm socket onto the bolt head due to the head's extremely close proximity to the manifold, nor can I fit the closed end of a wrench on for the same reason. My worry is that even if by the grace of God I can somehow get the open end onto the head, I'll end up rounding the head. Yes, I've put penetrating oil on it. No I haven't heated it up. Yes I've used both deep and shallow 14mm, 9/16, and 1/2 sockets JUST to make absolutely sure that 14mm was indeed the actual size of the bolt head.

Is there a such thing as a thin-walled super strong socket I could purchase for this single use? I would be glad to buy one in order to avoid more frustration and a potential wrench-through-the-windshield situation. Again, any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The 14mm should not be the size of the bolt head. It might be the best fit now, but when have you ever found a pre-90s american car made in metric?

Hit the bolts with some powerblaster/wd40/bolt buster or whatever your preference is. You may also try a heat gun in combination with the penetrating fluid, just don't set anything on fire.

Sockets all vary from vendor to vendor, best bet is to take whatever socket you're using (whether its metric or not) and compare it to the sockets in the store. You can order some thin wall sockets, but unless you have a measurement you'll be shooting in the dark. Thinnest one I found was 7/8" OD for a 9/16" socket.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

PBblaster is amazing stuff. Spray it before you go to bed tonight, and go back out tomorrow and you should be able to remove them with a simple wrench. suggestion, a six point wrench or socket does me better than a 12 point because it grabs the entrire face of the bolt not just the corners as a 12 point does.

good luck, rusted bolts suck!

Last edited by groho; 06-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.