Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 Mustang 2+2GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diputado View Post
Quick question...you asked if there were 3 or 4 bolts on that balancer/pulley combo. It has 4. What does this tell you?
That the balancer, and, by extension probably the engine itself, is 1970 or later.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

Well, as for the "age" of the balancer, I already knew that it is "post-1970" by the part # (an E4..etc.). According to the book "High Performance Ford Parts Interchange" by George Reid, the balancer corresponds to a late 80's 5.0 HO engine. That's why (as well as the left-side water pump inlet) I originally thought the engine was a 302. But, the block and heads are definitely 1965 289...casting numbers don't lie. Like I said...I asked the PO who built the engine if he used a 302 crank, rods,etc., but he swears that it has a 289 crank....AND a 390 flywheel.

Will that 4-bolt 50-oz balancer mount to a 1965 289 crank??
Diputado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Yes, the later 4-bolt will attach to a 65 engine. But it won't balance properly.

And it is impossible to use a 390 wheel on a 289/302. It simply will not fit inside the bellhousing.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Mustang Conv

Well, this is just about the weirdest drawn out discussion out here, these days. Why would someone spend the money to balance a crank so they could run a 50 oz balancer on the front of the motor and a zero balance flywheel on the rear? Makes no sense and cant' be done practically.
If the flywheel is from a 390, it would have to be using an FE bell housing, also, in order to clear the flywheel. How are you gonna fit that up to the back of a 289?
The entire concept is a joke, folks. Just another example of a dollar chasing a dime.
If the motor has no vibration issues with the balancer indicated, chances are that the reciprocating assembly is 5.0. Can't speak to what the flywheel is, but it ain't no 390.
I suspect this rant is just adding to the pile of palaver already out here. I'm gone.
Best,
Al
Al Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

Hey Al, I agree! I've talked lately to a couple of experienced engine-builders here locally, and they both told me that a 390 flywheel simply will not bolt up to a 289 crank, nor fit in a SBF bellhousing. The engine has no noticeable vibration, only a very little when cruising at 55 mph and about 2400 rpm, that you can feel slightly in the shifter handle, but even that may be normal. I think the PO who told me this is either full of s***, or just can't remember what the hell he did when he built the engine (he said it was about 8 yrs. ago!). I'm just gonna run 'er till she won't anymore, and then one day when I need to rebuild/replace the engine...I'll find out for sure what's inside!
Diputado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Now if this fella was claiming he had a 351 wheel, I'd say maybe. You could make that work. Most likely a case of-

Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Now if this fella was claiming he had a 351 wheel, I'd say maybe. You could make that work. Most likely a case of-

Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement