-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (
-   -   Throttle Rod advice (

Jordan Ivie 07-07-2013 09:52 PM

Throttle Rod advice
I have a 302 68 3 speed mustang I am getting running. It came with a brand new1406 edelbrock carb that hadn't been full hooked up. I am finding out the throttle rod that is stock for my car doesn't work. I am looking to buy whatever I need to hook up the stock mustang gas petal lever to the throttle on the carb. Anyone know what rod and all I need to buy? I am fine with just a plain and simple whatever works.

groho 07-07-2013 11:34 PM

I believe any Mr. Gasket or Holley has the adapter. I ended up cutting the end off my throttle rod, the small L at the end, and bought the adapter with a lock down screw. You slide it over the rod, and bolt it to the carb, then tighten the lock screw at the appropriate point on the rod...try this...

Jordan Ivie 07-08-2013 06:59 AM

ooh thats a cheap fix bet I could find something similar around here today if this does work. I am going to try this

2+2GT 07-08-2013 07:52 AM

I use the stock rod, with a modification that's free. Near the tip of the rod, drill a 1/16" hole. Install the rod in the hole provided in the Edelbrock lever, and slip on a small washer and a 1/16" cotter pin.

clowe1965 07-08-2013 08:51 AM

I did the same as 2+2, might want to heat up the end with a torch though, I ended up toasting more than one bit, heated the rod end up, then it drilled right through.

69thunder 07-08-2013 08:57 AM

You could ditch the rod and go to a cable set up as well.

fastbackford351 07-08-2013 11:31 AM

JamesW hooked me up with a solution when I was trying to figure out the linkage on my '67.

Using a 1/4" threaded rod with heim joints on each end connect the accelerator pedal to the carburetor. I used allen head screws with rubber washers and lock nuts to secure it in place. To pretty it up use a piece of brake line to slide over & camouflage the threaded rod. Taa-daa.

It looks great, is slicker than hell and butter smooth.

Total cost was about 10.00.

Yeah...Jordan linked to it

Jordan Ivie 07-08-2013 11:32 AM

well I failed at that mission. As an average joe garage warrior and little tools, I ended up slaughtering trying to dye my own rod because no one in town sells fine threaded rods for the tips that needed to go on there. Long story short I am back to needing to order one. I will modify my existing rod to work for now, but I need a new one, mine looks horrible and needs replaced.

clowe1965 07-08-2013 07:48 PM

Order some rod, lots of places can deliver it. is a good one.