Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Upper/Lower control arm brands?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default 67 Upper/Lower control arm brands?

I will be looking to replace my control arms in the next month or two. Upper, lower, perches, etc. It's not driven that often. Not tracked or road raced.

I will be replacing them with the stock versions, not the high end tubular, etc.

Would you recommend I go with a replacement brand like MOOG, who seems to have a great reputation for replacement suspension parts? Or should I spend the money for the "Scott Drake" brand from one of the Mustang parts houses? My concern is getting a cheap, flimsy, imitation knockoff.

What would you recommend?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Question is why replace them if you basically want the same ones? How about just replacing the ball joints? It is an easy job.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69thunder
Question is why replace them if you basically want the same ones? How about just replacing the ball joints? It is an easy job.
My thought process is that metal fatigues over time from bending and twisting (even slightly). Since I don't know how old these control arms have been on the car prior to my ownership, I just assume put all new components on. (ball joints, bushings, metal, etc.)

I could be wrong.....but that's my approach.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I agree with replace vs. rebuild, especially the UCA, the shaft holes normally get egg shaped, cracks, etc. The lowers usually suffer less damage but the cost/aggravation or removing the BJ and pressed in bushing adds up to the cost of just replacing it.

If you only want to do it once I would suggest ORP standard UCA ($225/pr), they are just a little more than the cheap repop ones ($150-$200/pr): http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/streetupper/

He deburrs, lubes, centers the shafts and welds tabs to keep the nuts from loosening as well as adds zerks that you can get to. I made the mistake of getting an 'all in one' kit from one of the mustang suppliers, w/in a yr. the upper nuts had loosened and the LCA bushing had slid in it's mount causing metal/metal contact with the suspension mounting point. For LCA John sells the Moog or you can get it multiple places, sometimes find them for <$50ea. which is what the cheap ones cost or less. I can post pics of my cheap ones next to the Moog, Moog have more/deeper reinforcement bends, thicker steel, heavier, etc. I get them local next day through O'Reilly's auto.

If you want to enjoy riding in the car his roller spring perches are an improvement over the stiff stock rubber ones and allow the suspension to react much quicker and keep your tires in contact with the road. You will notice that crossing train tracks is much smoother, speed bumps, curbs, suspension reacts smoother to direction changes, etc.
Jon

Last edited by Jonk67; 07-13-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

OTR as stated above, or at the very least get the Moog or Mcquay Norris!