MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (http://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   Help please 73 grande starting by it's self (http://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/698165-help-please-73-grande-starting-by-its-self.html)

michaelyerry 07-15-2013 01:42 PM

Help please 73 grande starting by it's self

I have been restoring this car for two years, it had been running great for about a year the other day the battery died on so i went to jump the car the car started as soon as the jump cables were hooked up the keys were not even in the ignition. I thought it was the ignition switch so i changed that today but the same thing keeps happening. I need to sell this car to get a car that is better for a college student. Please help!

120mm 07-15-2013 01:53 PM

Starter solenoid stuck "on".

Starters are relatively cheap. Have it tested at the local auto parts place (they do it for free) or just buy a new one.

jimkaray 07-15-2013 02:54 PM

The starter relay (not technically called a solenoid when mounted remotely) is stuck closed. Give it a sharp strike with a screwdriver handle and it should unstick it. You'll find it on the fender apron right behind the battery. The short positive cable runs to it and then a long one down to the starter. Get it replaced asap.
Here is an one so its top dollar, should be $15 - $20 at your local AP store or RockAuto.com

120mm 07-15-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimkaray (Post 8248353)
The starter relay (not technically called a solenoid when mounted remotely) is stuck closed. Give it a sharp strike with a screwdriver handle and it should unstick it. You'll find it on the fender apron right behind the battery. The short positive cable runs to it and then a long one down to the starter. Get it replaced asap.
Here is an NOS one so its top dollar, should be $15 - $20 at your local AP store or RockAuto.com

Oops... you are right. They are dime a dozen and pry the most common thing to go wrong on the Mustang and I've replaced a bunch of them.

They are fragile, though. Don't wrench on them too hard.

DocSnickers 07-15-2013 06:45 PM

solenoid or a ghost

boogerschnot 07-15-2013 07:50 PM

I vote ghost..

Sonic Mustang 08-27-2013 03:23 AM

It's self??? You must be attending a two year junior college.

fastbackford351 08-27-2013 07:45 AM

And you must be the resident douche who thinks he is much smarter than he actually is.

Sparkiewalt 08-28-2013 01:38 PM

I have the exact same car...had same problem...after 2 new solenoids I figured out that the wire going from my solenoid to my starter was too small, I replaced with the same size as ran from battery to solenoid. the smaller wire was causing extreme heat that was destroying my solenoids.

67mustang302 08-28-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang (Post 8272467)
It's self??? You must be attending a two year junior college.

So this is where I mention that if you're going to quote someone, you should use quotation marks. Did you not learn that at your institute of higher education?

Grammar Nazi grammar fail.
Smart ass smart fail.