Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

need help vibration when letting off

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Gun Jam

so nothing was done at all to the car? Business as normal start it up and then bam it was vibrating so then you took the driveshaft out had it balanced and replaced the U joints and it solved nothing????

from the time it last ran great to when the problem was first noticed how long did the car sit without being driven.

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 08-06-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 AM
Miguel Macias

a couple of months because the engine had blown and it took a while to replace it
Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Gun Jam

ahh thats what I was looking for!

So the engine blew...is it a totally new crate engine now or was it rebuilt and how did the engine blow?

tracking down vibrations can be tough...thats why I ask all these questions.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Miguel Macias

a bolt fell into the pistons and cracked the wall and piston and i just bought another inline six engine
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Gun Jam

Okay so a used inline six replaced your inline six that ran cherry until a bolt killed it.

Now the transmission is the same one you always had or did this current inline 6 come with a transmission?

With the car stopped in neutral does it run smooth when you rev it up in neutral?

-Gun
Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 AM
Miguel Macias

the same i always had and it will sometime REV up in neutral
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Gun Jam

Okay so..Car ran great until somehow (we wont go into detail) a bolt got into the carb, past the valves and beat a cylinder to death. A used I6 motor with unknown history was acquired to replaced the dead I6. The new I6 was bolted to the original trans and upon first test drive a vibration was noticed. The OP then proceeded to change DS U-joints and balance the DS this made no improvement.

So miles away from my chair I cant tell you what the problem is but I can tell you that based on this one piece of story at a time issue that the problem more than likely lies at the transmission mount or forwards. In other words I think the issue is related to the engine or a transmission mount, Broken trans mount, engine touching the frame, transmission touching the frame, bad engine that doesnt run smooth to start with....

What do you mean it sometimes will rev up in neutral...if its running and you press the gas it should ALWAYS rev up in neutral....does this new engine run like crap?

-Gun
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Miguel Macias

the engine is great i meant that if i leave it neutral that it will go up a lil bit without pressing the gas and i changed the transmission mount and it still did it but at 60 mph this time and my engine mounts look good but ill check to see if the transmission is touching the frame and very much appreciative for your time and wisdom from this 20 year old