Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Spring Saddle Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if your lower control arm bushings are gone you probably have tons of wear on the inside edges of your tires and the front end probably looks like this / \ when looking at the tires from the front of the car
Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Outside of front tires are much more worn than the rest of the tire.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Old School, here, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. First, don't even consider replacing the saddle bushings. Replace the saddle assembly, complete with new bushings. Second, the roller saddles are in everyone's thinking these days, but standard saddles are more worth the money. IMHO, the verdict is still out on the strength and safety of roller bearings in place of rubber bushings. Third, cutting coil springs will certainly lower your front suspension a bit, but you will soon find out what a buckboard feels like. The Shelby drop is effective but not for everyone. Several GOTCHA's with the drop. Do your own research before you decide. Fourth, if needed, replace the LCA rather than attempting to replace the LCA bushing. Once the bushing gets loose in the LCA housing, it is about impossible to install a new one and expect it to stay tight. New LCA's can be found cheap, but stay with better quality brands (Scott Drake). Boxing the LCA is largely a waste of time unless you are going road racing in a really serious way.
Best,
Al
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

First, don't even consider replacing the saddle bushings. Replace the saddle assembly, complete with new bushings.

That's what I'm going to do - ordered the complete assembly. It just seemed the best thing to do.

Third, cutting coil springs will certainly lower your front suspension a bit, but you will soon find out what a buckboard feels like. The Shelby drop is effective but not for everyone. Several GOTCHA's with the drop. Do your own research before you decide.

Don't want or need a lower front end. Not my thing.

Fourth, if needed, replace the LCA rather than attempting to replace the LCA bushing. Once the bushing gets loose in the LCA housing, it is about impossible to install a new one and expect it to stay tight. New LCA's can be found cheap, but stay with better quality brands (Scott Drake). Boxing the LCA is largely a waste of time unless you are going road racing in a really serious way.

LCAs are solid - no play. Bushings appear to be OK, so I'm leaving them alone.

All good info.............Thanks! I'm building quite a reference book by printing all you guy's posts. Goes well with my shop manual. I really apprecaite all input!