Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Removing Coil Springs

Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

ya toss them in your harbor freight rock polisher for a bit to clean them up and use some lock tight. mustangs aren't really as scary to do as other cars there really isn't any way for the spring to shoot out and floor jack method wont work thats if the spring is between upper and lower control arms.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by unit91
Amen. Palerider's compressor type won't work for this job because it attaches to the spring saddle assembly, which is what I need to replace. Guess I'll take my compressor with me to the auto parts store and see if they have one that isn't as wide. I'm told that the mcpherson strut spring compressors (a two piece job where you put a separate compressor on each side of the spring) shouldn't be used on my type springs. What do you think of that?
the one I posted with fork on it does not attach to saddle spring. Fork just slides thru the lowest coil - used it a bunch of time - never had a problem with springs popping out like I had with the arms on both side compressor.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

sorry.......you're right. i was looking at another post. the one i rented from autozone looks like yours. it worked fine. am returning the one i bought from npd. only problem i had was getting the front shock back in. i jacked up the lower control arm to get the bolts to go far enough thru the sadddle spring perch to get a nut on them. then i had pry the top of the shock back onto the top bracket. can't help but think i must be doing it wrong as it was quite a job.

Last edited by unit91; 08-12-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM
JAGGUY

I rented the "forked" style compressor from O'Reillys.
I didn't have reason to remove the springs so I put the fork on top of the spring housing and grabbed the next to the bottom coil with the hooks.
Used an air ratchet and sucked the spring up and out of the way.

The issue I had was with everything back together the top of the shocks were off to the side of the spring and not centered.
I read somewhere on here to shim one lower bolt on the shock to help center it, which I did. I think in a couple weeks after things settle I'll unbolt the top shock mount and see if I can remove the shim on the lower mount...