Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Well, I just now saw this thread. I was gonna say "It's not the head gasket," but it seems I was too late.

Head gasket would show really low pressure on 1 or more cylinders (usually on adjacent cyls). I was thinking intake gasket, pulling coolant in from a bad seal along the coolant port. If you're showing an average of 150, a head gasket would most likely show less than 100 on 1 or more cyl.

Which cylinder was corroded? Can you post a good pic of it? Could be coolant coming through a wall maybe.

Which head gaskets are those? They look like Fel Pro 1011, but the beads are red and the 1011's are blue iirc.

The engine was put together with different pistons too it looks like....

Got a pic of the intake gasket? What did it look like when you pulled the intake off? Got a p/n?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM
smiggley

Also if you need more pics or better pics let me know. Thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Heh, you beat me as I was typing. That rust is "hmmm...errrr", but not "oh noes!" American V8's are closed deck blocks, so the coolant doesn't run all the way to the top of the cyl. It looks like the engine sat for a while with that piston at TDC and moisture got in, though it COULD be rusted through with a pinhole at the bottom of the rust ring into the cooling jacket (the rust ring looks thick enough to possibly be at the top of the jacket).
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
smiggley

hey thanks for the help. Yeah I agree I kinda jumped the gun on the pulling heads since it looked like the top end was pulled at one recent time compared to the short block. (newer freeze plugs and gasket) No bigge since I had the gaskets anyway. Ill take some pics of the intake and also find out the part number on the felpro head gasket.
As far as the rust goes. It looks worse than it is since I used the flash on my phone but I guess it shows it more too than the naked eye.
So maybe I should clean up that rusted cylinder and see if there is any holes?
Looks like I need to hone since the walls have no cross hatch. No any real ridge though either. Thanks again for the help.....
Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

How much do you have to spend? You got the engine for free basically, right?

Replace the head gaskets, Fel-Pro 8548-pt2 is a stock replacement, really stout gasket, the 9333-pt1 is a better version used a lot by guys running boost.

You won't be able to clean the rust and see a leak if it's a pinhole or pressure seep. Compression tests seemed ok, enough that it'll run.

If it runs and burns some oil, you got it for free...so in the grand scheme of things that's not too bad.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
smiggley

intake pics. Also head gasket number was felpro 8548-pt1
I have felpro 8548-pt2 (blue) for a replacement.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:49 PM
smiggley

intake gaskets..
sorry didnt get passenger front pic

Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Intake leak at #5 maybe? Hard to tell in the pic, but looks like the gasket and port there have rust from the cooling system?

I always put a thin layer of RTV around all the cooling ports these days, even with the printed gaskets that Fel-Pro says not to. RTV always seals, gaskets...not always.

Depending on the gasket you use, the heads and intake have to be retorqued after you run the engine and it goes through it's first heat cycle.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 PM
smiggley

Thanks again for helping me out. Yeah it ran like a sewing machine when cold. No bad noises. Oil pressure was fine. It just ran hot and spewed out a bunch of rust water after I ran it awhile. Then it overheated. I flushed the whole thang out as best as I could. ALot of crude in the radiator too. Did my best to clean it out. I think I might pour some diesel down and clean everything I can really well
Other than that. Like you said new gaskets and I have valve guide seals to so maybe thatll help the oil getting on the plug. fingers crossed.
I looked into the honing and looks like I shouldnt get into that since I dont really feel like pulling engine again. Ive got out my big block ready for the jet boat and dont need motors laying everywhere.
any other advice? Thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Dump 8 grand into it and build a 500hp 347?

Quick Reply: help needed