Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
smiggley

Default help needed

Hi hows it going? I just installed a 289 in my ride. Got a freebie motor that was supposed to be good. (yeah right)
Fired it up and it sounds great and runs fine until it warms up then white smoke out the exhaust when giving it gas. Hardly smokes at idle. but when punched it smokes and ton and then begins to miss a bunch.
I did a compression test and its 150 for all but two which are 125.
plugs looked a little rich and one plug did have oil on the electrode.
It is also running hot. It puked out a bunch of rusty water and overheated a bit so I flushed it all out and now is running cooler but still on the hot side.
New waterpump and radiator.
What should my plan of attack be. This is just a rat rod project so I dont want to dump a bunch of money it it. Im leaning to maybe its head gasket or worse?
I have a complete engine gasket kit so I can install new head gaskets and valve guides seals for the heck of it.
Also I have a leak down tester and prolly should give that a try to maybe narrow it down further? That test is always a pain cause it want to spin the engine. I was also thinking maybe do a quick rering too?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Head gaskets...

Should have probly done it before dropping it in with a freebie engine. But live and learn.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Yeup.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM
1st Gear Member

i say head gasket and you might as well do the guide seals when ya have it apart
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

New oil pump to.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Be careful, just saying "while you're at it" can cost $$'s. But I agree with 1970 and LCC.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 AM
smiggley

update. So i pulled the heads off and here is what I found. Two pistons that are different, and a cylinder wall that is pretty corroded. I didnt see any noticable cracks and the head gaskets looked ok.(from my untrained eyes that is) Wondering where the water is getting in. Heads looked to be rebuilt a somewhat more recent time too.Feel free to chime in on anything else. Any hope in this engine or start finding another one?
Im kinda stuck like many others. Not much money and knee deep in car.
Any possibility in doing some econo/hillbilly way here? Its all just a learing experience with me.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Old 08-22-2013, 11:42 AM
smiggley

more pics.......

Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM
smiggley

money shot
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
smiggley

so theres the pics... Like I said two pistons are different, which is obviously not kosher. Im thinking that I should clean a little maybe to check for cracks and check for straightness of head and block? If that checks out then maybe rings and a hone, replace head gasket and guide seals since I have them? Bolt it together and see what happens.... If it doesnt work then ditch the engine and find something else?
I know this is totally not the right thing to do but given that any positive non smart *** comment would be greatly appreciated lol......thanks

Quick Reply: help needed