Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What a shame

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 09:33 AM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What a shame

ORIGINAL: 66 Hardtop 5.0

Except the sunroof, I don`t really see the problem.
Well, I still stand for what I said in my prev. post.
YES, the panels and the rear bumper have poor alignement. YES, the exhaust is a cheap, ugly sollution. YES, the seats are ugly and probably hell to sit in.
But a shame? No.
We don`t know in what condition the car was before the owner decided to do this. This car may very well have been a rustbucket that many others would see as beyond salvage.
No sane person would take a nice looking original FB and build this poor looking restomod. (in case any of you had doubts, yes, I think the car looks ****).

Except the sunroof, it doesn`t look like any other sheetmetal has been cut, so putting it back in original condition would be fairly easy.
Unlike many other E-bay adds, the owner is not trying to sell something that the car isn`t. Even uses the phrase "R-model look", and never tries to sell this off as a "clone" or even a GT350, as many others.

As for the fiberglass front, I think it looks great if it`s done right. This is the way I`m going after I`ve finished with the suspension and brakes

[IMG]local://upfiles/20565/7E99977D24A341BCB462872ECD26E72C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-09-2005, 09:57 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Charlie1

I'm with you all that say this car is totally bogus. it's okay to make the car fit your needs and skip concours stuff to fit your budget and real-life use (cruising, not showing). But if you make a clone, make it right. As you all said...no bumper, cheap exhaust decision, sun roof is stupid as are seats. But best of all is the lame ad copy about how it's not perfect but really cool. Not.
Wow... you sound like one of those concorus nuts that try to bite my head off at shows because I changed the paint color on my car.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:55 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Yeah, sometimes i think about putting an eleanor kit on my 66 coupe. They look pretty cool.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

As you all know, I detest restomods. BUT, if they are done right, that can be a great looking RESTOMOD. Just don't confuse them with real Mustangs. Back in the early 80's I built a replica of a 1929 Mercedes. The kit included plastic and fiberglas body parts, and the chassis was a 1978 Mustanng II. Now, was that a Mercedes from 1929? Of course not.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:35 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Now Glen, you know that there are very few mustangs out there that all still TOTALLY original. Even your 65 isn't TOTALLY original. Basically it's a restomod because you got Ravin mufflers on it.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

Now Glen, you know that there are very few mustangs out there that all still TOTALLY original. Even your 65 isn't TOTALLY original. Basically it's a restomod because you got Ravin mufflers on it.
Good point, but the integrity of the original design has not been changed. This car is a bastard.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:47 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA, Yeah i know what you mean. My car right now is totally original, execpt for the pertronix(even thats the original dizzy), and i installed a under dash stereo and kept the original one in its place.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

HAHAHAHAHAHA, Yeah i know what you mean. My car right now is totally original, execpt for the pertronix(even thats the original dizzy), and i installed a under dash stereo and kept the original one in its place.
I am fully aware of what is concours correct, but I don't choose the trailer queen approach to my 65. I drive that sucker, and I drive it a lot during the summer. No, my engine is not squeaky clean, and that is because I choose to drive it as it was meant to be done. We can't possibly keep these old dinosaurs totally original if we drive them in 2005. The totally original parts are not available at a price most of us can afford. Again, I just wish to keep my 65 as original as I can with the parts I can get to keep her running as long as I am alive. And, again...RESTOMODS are not Mustangs, but just bastards of the original design Mustangs. Yeah, I am a purist....so fire me.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I dont consider turning a stock engine into something really nice to be something like a restomod. I think a resto mod is changing the appearence of the interior and exterior. Like at the mustangs unlimited show a guy had a 66 with seats that looked like they were for a taurus.[:'(]
Old 10-09-2005, 08:43 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

yeah, im with you Glen. I really dont like changing my cars too much. Now When i do add parts, 99% of the time, im installing mustang parts. Like i want to One day Install a Rally Pac, and GT fog lights, and rear exhuast pipes. Im going to go with a silver blue paint job.

Quick Reply: What a shame