Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ALIVE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cxr
Thanks for the reply.. i have been trying to go this route
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/efi/

since we had a complete 289 that we tore down.

aaargh more money to spend maybe ill start looking for a complete 5.0 EFI with the transmission, ebay and craigslist here i come.

everybody here would love a write up or maybe just start posting some pics of the most difficult areas of the swap.

Thanks
Yep............I remember reading that when I first started. I mounted the ECU behind the radio and under the cowling. I cut the hole for the harness pass through just above the upper heater hose......this moved everything to the left as compared to a Fox Mustang where the harness comes through on the extreme passenger side.

The biggest thing is money..........honestly......this cost FAR more than I anticipated......without doing bodywork I have $10000 in this build.....with MY labor. That includes everything.......suspension.....Dynamat....purchas ing the engine and transmission and all the parts. Heck the kit I bought for the fuel system was nearly $600 alone!! I've kept the receipts for everything. The exhaust system was basically $1000........it's amazing how much money a project can cost.....no wonder so many of them go unfinished!! The two most used tools were the my angle grinder with a wire wheel and my 1/2" chuck drill. I have never drilled more holes in my life than I did with this build.......and I've gone through several dozen wire wheels.......stripping parts seemed to be never ending.........including stripping the floor!!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Here is a link to some of the pictures.................feel free to ask questions about any of them! I have MUCH more on the home computer that I've never uploaded.

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Falco...36645937372782
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

And these pics are after I installed the new leaf springs......which is where I started on the project. This basically what I started with.

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Falco...13326321173517
Old 09-17-2013, 11:58 PM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

quick question i have been doing a google search and cant find the answer. willa n 1996 5.0 work for the swap?

my nephew just bought a new Honda Accord and he had a 1996 Mustang thats just sitting there now im sure hell give me a killer deal on it. ill have engine and transmission
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cxr
quick question i have been doing a google search and cant find the answer. willa n 1996 5.0 work for the swap?

my nephew just bought a new Honda Accord and he had a 1996 Mustang thats just sitting there now im sure hell give me a killer deal on it. ill have engine and transmission

Shouldn't a '96 be a 4.6?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 PM
LMNRancher

Keep us posted
Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Did you leave all the smog equipment on? And what is that thing under the alternator?

James
Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by musnicki
Did you leave all the smog equipment on? And what is that thing under the alternator?

James
No smog equipment. Removed the EGR also.

You'll have to be a little clearer about what you're seeing under the alternator, sorry. The dipstick is behind the alternator.......I can see the timing pointer down below it.

It's getting dyno-tuned today at a speed shop (Mo's Speed Shop) in Dallas, GA. It will be on the road next week. Can't wait!!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

This is how it looks now..........with the brace installed and most of the wiring cleaned up.

Name:  IMG_0009_zpsee3f10a9.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  122.2 KB
Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Nicely done.

Quick Reply: ALIVE!!!!