Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
drshogun

Vehicle: 1968, Mustang, Coupe
Default Advice on a 68 mustang purchase...

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting here.

It's been a looooong time since I have owned a mustang. My first car ever was a 1967 coupe. Later I picked up a 1969 Grande, restored it, and sold it. That was about 10 years ago.

Now I'm on the hunt for another.

I saw a solid project online. The ad says it is a 1968 289. Engine needs work/rebuild. Owner says tranny is good, based on previous owner's word. So at this point, who knows.

Needs a hood, some TLC in the interior, and body/paint work.

I know the pics aren't much to go off of. But I could really use some expert advice on what I should look for, based on what you can see from the pics. It's been a while since I have owned one, so I feel like a novice again.

Thanks in advance guys. I'm going to look at it tomorrow, so trying to arm myself with all the info I can.

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
drshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

well the biggest thing is to check for rust...if that car is solid id pay about 500-700$ for it. you should check the cowl, floor boards, trunk floor and all the other common areas
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
drshogun

Vehicle: 1968, Mustang, Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
well the biggest thing is to check for rust...if that car is solid id pay about 500-700$ for it. you should check the cowl, floor boards, trunk floor and all the other common areas
Thanks for the reply. I wish he was selling it for that much. He wants 2k, firm. From what I have seen, that's fairly reasonable in the California area. Those cars tend to go for a lot out here. I've seen 68 shells go for 2k. :-O

Concerning the engine, I wonder what would be the most cost effective route to get this thing running solid with decent performance? Should I just try and find a decent engine to swap in place of the current one? Like a 302 or 351w? I'm guessing a 5.0 EFI would come with too many added costs to swap in a budget.
drshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1970 Mustang Fastback
Send a message via AIM to Waffles

Pass. If it's more than $750 it's not worth it. Be patient. Deals come along.

Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Vehicle: 1965, ford, mustang fastback
Send a message via AIM to rmodel65 Send a message via MSN to rmodel65 Send a message via Yahoo to rmodel65

LOLOL at 2k...id definitely pass like waffle said. for 5k you could get a really clean driver 65-68 coupe...

but cost effective id probably pick up an explorer motor from a 1996-1997 then add on the mustang oil pan, timing cover, intake and a distributor and ignition box from a 1985 GT(because its roller cam) and then an adapter flexplate for the 50 ounce balance
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 coupe

im with these guys, too much. Look on CL here in phx. there is a 68 sprint here for 2800 that i bet could be had for 1800 and it is better than that.
66 coupe, Tuff Dawg forged 10.5:1 - 331, T5, TRick Flow heads, Stealth Intake, Holley 670 Street Avenger, Centerforce Clutch, Headman Headers, Ford Motorsports E303 Cam, 8.8 explorer rear end .373 gears, Cobra 4 wheel disc brakes, 17" TT2's
MonsterBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement