Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
pwbabcock

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang
Question HEI distributor wiring / runaway start

Hello all. I have been lurking on this site for some time now, and have run into a snag with my 67 restomod project. I did a full rebuild of my 289 and replaced the distributor/solenoid with an HEI unit. It has a one wire 12v connection. I ran a new wire to the ignition switch and terminated it to where the pink wire (old resistor wire per the wiring diagram) is landed. When I tried to start it up it continued to crank (starter still activated) after I turned the ignition back to off. I had to disconnect the battery (which the battery cables were very warm as well). Has anyone installed one of these and can tell me how you wired it? I am also curious why the starter solenoid would have stayed engaged. Thanks in advance for any help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
pwbabcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

That same thing has happened to me twice over the past few months. I have a '65 289 with a Duraspark II ignition. First time, I thought it was the cheap Autozone solenoid (Chinese made). Replaced it with a genuine Motorcraft unit and it happened again a couple months later. Checked with a local auto electric shop and was told a poorly-grounded solenoid would do that. Tightened up all bolts,etc. on solenoid and it hasn't happened again...yet!
Diputado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
pwbabcock

Thanks for the help, I will check the grounding in the morning and report back.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Definatly need to clean the surface that the solenoid bolts too , scrape or grind to bare metal to ensure a good clean ground.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
pwbabcock

I have taken the solenoid off and ground down to bare metal the contacts points and made sure all bolts are tight. I tested continuity and it registers continuity from the top of the solenoid to the ground lug on the manifold. Could the new solenoid be bad?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
pwbabcock

Update, when I remove the brown wire from the solenoid (wire going to ignition switch) it tries to start on its own. no key in the ignition.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
pwbabcock

Thanks everyone for the help. I got it fixed. Bad brand new solenoid! I went and got another one and it works fine now.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Cobra6

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwbabcock View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. I got it fixed. Bad brand new solenoid! I went and got another one and it works fine now.
A lot of the new solenoids are junk - I have had a few bad ones and quit dealing with the $10 junk I got at Autozone. They do have a "Gold" solenoid now with a 3 year warranty that is about $20.
I have a friend that tried one of these and it has been OK.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you haven't been trained properly.

Cobra6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1967, 289, distributor, hei, wiring