Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 06:57 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust questions

Ok you jerk thats why i spent 3000 on the car and my dad is BUYING ONE THING. Some people just cant keep their mouth shut. I didnt ask him to buy me anything he wants to buy them. Wow people just freak out when their parents do one little thing for them.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

Wow people just freak out when their parents do one little thing for them.
I am not freaking out

It is hard to tell if someone is upset or not over the internet...i meant no disrespect.

congrats at getting the car at a young age [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 10-09-2005, 07:30 PM
dsmith678

I bought off a web site last year then had trouble finding a shop that would put them on for a reasonable amount of money. They all wanted me to buy the part from them. I finally found a shop to put on but I feel like I paid about the same after including shipping and their labor as if I had bought the part from them and had them install.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I might try it myself first. If i find the bolts aren't coming out, then ill let a shop do it. But i know im not going through all the trouble we went through on that stupid truck.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:38 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Go for the X pipe you get 12+ more HP. Do it yourself that way you know it is done right.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Putting on the X or h pipe is obviously the right way to go, but putting it on and manufacturing the X or H pipe is obviously not a shade tree mechanics ' expertise. Take it to a pro at a muffler shop. Do some research about X and H pipes to decide which one fits your application. Obviously, they both have better air flow than the factory set-up.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Yeah, i wa thinking about going with a H pipe. They are said to give a more muscle car sound then X pipes.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

A couple of things to consider. Check clearances to your transmission with either the x pipe or H pipe. with my h pipe, I dont have to drop my exhaust to service my C4, but with the x pipe I would have to.
Also, with the cheap tri ys, make sure the mounting flange is nice and flat. Get a file, and run it across the flange to take off any high spots, which stop them sealing against the heads. (I know this from experience).
My tri ys were really hard to fit, I had to lift the engine, place the headers in the engine bay, lift them up, and only put in the front bolt, with no gasket, then slowly lower the engine while guiding the tri ys into place. Then try to fit a gasket in between the head and flange. The gaskets that came with the tri ys had bolt holes through them for all the bolts, so are really hard to align. The set I got with my full engine gasket kit had hooks (only the top half of the front and rear bolt hole) this meant the they could easily by slipped down and into place when the front and rear bolts were in (but not tight)
After all this, I only have 1/8" clearance between the pipes and the shock tower. (66 coupe)
my advise, get the shop to do it.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 PM
hutchamatic
2nd Gear Member

The headers are not that hard if it is an automatic ride. Bolts are not bad to break off in the small blocks. The FE's are notorius for that. I have fought many of them. Find you a really good exhaust shop to build your exhaust or buy a kit and bolt it on yourself. It will mean alot more to you if you do it yourself and a bolt on kit is pretty simple.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:31 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Do the headers yourself! Spray the exhaust manifold bolts several days before you install the headers with liquid wrench or equivelent. Of course it will stink for a couple of days. It might penetrate even though the bolts are long. Put some up around where the head and maifolt meet at the bolts. When it heats up it might penetrate. But then again so will a good impact. Thats what's so fun about owning a Mustang and doing mods. Have the exhaust welded and not clamped. Make sure they mandrel bend the tubing and not bend it with kinks. That will separate a good muffler guy from a guy who just has the job because he needs one.

Quick Reply: exhaust questions