Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

c4 transmission to AOD

Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 AM
jnlogan89

Default c4 transmission to AOD

I just got a 1965 Mustang 289, and I plan on doing a restomod. This is my first project, so I am pretty new to this. I have pretty much decided to replace the c4 tranny with an AOD, but I have a few questions about the process. To start, I am wondering where I should begin shopping for one. Online there seems to be a wide range as far as prices go. This leads me to think some sites are over charging and some sites may be trying to sell a piece of junk. I'd like to find a good price for a good product, so where should I look? Secondly, once I have an AOD transimission, is there any other parts necessary to install it? (assuming it comes with a new torque converter).
Old 10-25-2013, 12:46 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you will need a flex plate with a 28 ounce balance(assuming you have a stock engine) if i remember correctly the flex plate from 1970-73 mustang with an FMX will fit your needs

youll need an adapter for the tv cable(its not a kick down it adjusts line pressure if its not set right you will burn up the transmission) i think lokar makes them

crossmember for the AOD

and you might possibly have to shorten the driveshaft

possibly exhaust work if the pipes are in the way

Last edited by rmodel65; 10-25-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

I have an AOD in my '66, pulled it out of a '80 Crown Vic.
Drive shaft fit right back.
Made my own cross member.
AOD is way fatter than a C-4 and had to tweak my twice-pipes.

I forgot what flywheel I used, but I think it was also out of the same Crn Vic.
Found a rod for the kick-down lever out of some other Ford.

I wish I would have wrote all this down back in the day while I was doing it. Had the luxury of getting almost unlimited OE parts out of my Dad's salvage yard. Plus, stacks of interchange books on what flywheel, drive shaft, etc. would work with what.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Yeah, I've decided that when my C6 finally dies that I'm going to do the AOD swap into the Fastback.

Problem is, the damn thing just wont die. We've had the car for over 20 years been through 3 or 4 engines but with the same transmission.

I finally had it rebuilt a few years back when I built my current 351W and my buddy who rebuilt it said that that was it. Next time she needs to be rebuilt, it needs to be replaced because the old girls' internal specs are getting too sloppy and loose inside.

Ain't it the way it goes...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Yeah, I've decided that when my C6 finally dies that I'm going to do the AOD swap into the Fastback.

Problem is, the damn thing just wont die. We've had the car for over 20 years been through 3 or 4 engines but with the same transmission.

I finally had it rebuilt a few years back when I built my current 351W and my buddy who rebuilt it said that that was it. Next time she needs to be rebuilt, it needs to be replaced because the old girls' internal specs are getting too sloppy and loose inside.

Ain't it the way it goes...
LOL.. Your ol-girl is getting loose.. Guess that happens with lots of use and age.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Cobra6

Default Check out this article

Check this out -
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/..._transmission/

and you might ask some questions here -
http://www.clickclickracing.com/foru...k-Conversions&
Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Great link! Finally someone put on paper that you dont need to use a pressure gauge to dial in the TV pressure on these cars. I did lots of reading on this and the method I read over and over was to take out the slack in the valve cable and adjust so that there is a definate pull on the cable as soon as the throttle is pushed, or even just a little pull to start and then adjust from there. Its almost the same as setting the accelerator pump shot.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Cobra6

Originally Posted by boogerschnot
Great link! Finally someone put on paper that you dont need to use a pressure gauge to dial in the TV pressure on these cars. I did lots of reading on this and the method I read over and over was to take out the slack in the valve cable and adjust so that there is a definate pull on the cable as soon as the throttle is pushed, or even just a little pull to start and then adjust from there. Its almost the same as setting the accelerator pump shot.
+1 - there is a lot of misinformation floating around about AOD conversions - some of the info is simply outdated, but ther is a lot of bad info floating around - like needing the pressure gauge, shortening drive shafts, etc.
On the other hand, the Click-Click Racing forum has a lot of good info -