Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

This starting problem makes me feel stupid

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Duba

Default This starting problem makes me feel stupid

OK, my friend got the 67 stang running at one time...I ran it and it stumbled and bumbled. I went away for a couple of years and came back to it.

I drained the tank from any bad gas, blew air in the fuel line back to the tank, replaced a kink I had in the fuel tank to fuel pump line so it is new, new fuel filter, fuel pump, it is getting gas to the new Edelbrock 1406 carb. Put in new gas.

Noticed that the plugs were fouled from when my friend and I got it running way back when and I have adjusted the fuel mixture, turned screws tight and then backed off 1 1/2 times. I have replaced the plugs as well. I have spark from the new coil.

I also noticed the distributor loose so I put it back to TDC and tightened the distributor down. New gas...

Cannot get it started...what am I missing??
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Duba

Corrections on above....I did replace the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.

It is my car but I won't let my friend work on it any more since the car was put together in the first place.

I have had 100 reviews on this matter...anybody out there that might be able steer me in a good direction.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Gun Jam

1) it wont run well at TDC if you guessed wrong it wont run period...How did you determine if it was at TDC??

2) is it getting spark?

3) If you remove the air cleaner and pull full throttle do you get a good shot of fuel into the carb from the accelerator pump?

-Gun
Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Are you anywhere close to starting? Does it act like it wants to run or does the starter just spin the motor over with no signs of life?

Are you getting spark to your plugs?

Fuel

Air

Fire

With these three things, it will run.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:54 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

TDC on #1? Are you sure it's TDC on compression or exhaust? Could be 180 out but it still would sputter or backfire through carb.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Duba

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
1) it wont run well at TDC if you guessed wrong it wont run period...How did you determine if it was at TDC??

2) is it getting spark?

3) If you remove the air cleaner and pull full throttle do you get a good shot of fuel into the carb from the accelerator pump?

-Gun

Gun,

To determine TDC I took off the number 1 plug and bumped the starter around with my remote starter until it blew my thumb off the hole for the plug. Looked at the rotor, marked distrib as it aligns with the cap, rotated distrib until it is pointing to number one on the cap etc...

It does seem to get spark....

Thinking I had a problem with the carb before...I took to a mechanic acquaintance.

I don't see any gas getting to carb as you have described...this is a new carb which was running at one time then since it has sat I had a competent mechanic friend "step it down" (I am assuming that means jets) a couple from when it was new out the box to help it run better since I just have a slightly modified cam and intake manifold on the original 289. He said there seems to me nothing wrong with the carb. I seem to have plenty of fuel from the pump when I remove the line to the carb. but after that???? Carb is clean from top to bottom with no issues on the carbs filter.

Baffling!!!!!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

fill the fuel bowls on the carb with gas and see if it will run
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Duba

Originally Posted by rmodel65
fill the fuel bowls on the carb with gas and see if it will run
Won't run.....sh..t......
Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

So, are you not seeing it squirt into the throat when you pump the throttle? This would indicate your float is frozen. You can put a little gas directly into the throat and see if it fires.

You mentioned that you have spark at the coil, do you have spark at the plugs? This would point to a bad rotor. Don't laugh, I've seen it a lot more than I care to.

If you put gas directly down the carb but, it don't fire, you should be looking for a spark issue. Be careful when doing this....it doesn't take much.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Gun Jam

It seems you've done well to set timing correct...Just remember plug 1 on ford is passenger side bank nearest radiator.

if its at TDC, and has spark. If you pour a total of a 1/2oz of fuel between the 4 barrels in the carb open the throttle just past idle it will run for at lest 3 seconds.

-Gun

Quick Reply: This starting problem makes me feel stupid