I don't know if anyone else has had a problem with this, but i thought i'd share with everyone what i did. i got a 100 amp alternator for my 289 in a '66 coupe, not thinking (like an idiot
) that i would run into any problems. Upon trying to use the stock brackets, i learned that the alternator was too large in depth to mount in a stock fashion, as i noticed it hit the side of the block before the bottom alternator bracket could reach it. After this, i ordered a march performance bracket from amazon which worked alright, though the only 90* thermostat housing i could find (the stock style for foxbody 5.0Ls) wouldn't fit because of coming into contact with the water pump housing
and yes, you need this because part of the bracket goes right in front of the thermostat housing. in a moment of raw desperation, influenced by the actions of my hot rodder uncle, i took a rear disc brake caliper bracket, cut two parts of it off, drilled a few holes, and heres what i ended up with (please ignore the old rusted thermostat housing).