Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What modifications should I make to my 68 stock 302 engine

Old 11-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Greg West

Default What modifications should I make to my 68 stock 302 engine

Well my baby is put away for the winter at my parents farm, and I am wanting to tear the engine apart over Christmas with my dad to give it a little better performance. It was driven about 1500 miles on a fresh restoration, but I would like to get a little more power out of it.

It currently has a Edelbrock 550cfm Carb, Edelbrock Intake, Short Tube Headers, and as far as I know everything else is stock.

What would you all recommend. I am not very mechanically inclined, but my dad is thus the perfect time and place to get things going. He likes old british cars with no power, so asking what he suggests won't get anywhere. I need to have everything I need and get him to help me do it.

I changed the differential and gearing in the summer so it now has posi and has 3.55 gearing. It is an stock automatic transmission as well.

What do you all suggest?

Here is some pics.

Thanks for any help you can lend, or suggestions what I should be looking at.

Greg
Old 11-28-2013, 06:11 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

How much do you have to spend?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 PM
90RunnerRed
2nd Gear Member

I really don't have any input on your question, but man that is a beautiful and well done car. Are those 16's?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Greg West

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
How much do you have to spend?
I hadnt really thought about a budget. I imagine under $1000 if I can for now. I have a leak somewhere in the engine that I wanted to get rid of this winter, so I assumed it might need to come out, and that would be a good time to upgrade. I was told I should change the crankshaft for sure, but dont know what I would need, or what would be best. At some point I would probably change the heads, but didn't think that was too crucial just yet. Suggest away. At least if it is something I don't want to shell out for now it gives me an idea for the future planning.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:21 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Figure out what you want and what you want to spend.

Does it just need a rebuild? If you're trying to get more power out of it, how much more? That's where the money gets spent pretty quickly. What performance level are you trying to attain?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Greg West

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Figure out what you want and what you want to spend.

Does it just need a rebuild? If you're trying to get more power out of it, how much more? That's where the money gets spent pretty quickly. What performance level are you trying to attain?
I imagine that the car is around 300 hp. I would like to add around 100hp.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I assume you mean change the camshaft, not the crank. I would get a set of Trickflow or AFR heads, a high lift cam with roller rockers, and that should get you where you want to be.
In all your looking about $2000 and it would be a good winter project.
It will take two sessions of work though. You need to install the new heads then check the pushrod length. Then buy the new pushrods and assemble. It's not that big of a deal. Just take your time and research it.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Greg West

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I assume you mean change the camshaft, not the crank. I would get a set of Trickflow or AFR heads, a high lift cam with roller rockers, and that should get you where you want to be.
In all your looking about $2000 and it would be a good winter project.
It will take two sessions of work though. You need to install the new heads then check the pushrod length. Then buy the new pushrods and assemble. It's not that big of a deal. Just take your time and research it.
You are correct. I was just going to correct that when I got your email notification.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Well, a stock engine with a few bolt ons isn't 300hp, more like 220hp if the engine is in good shape.

If the bottom end is fine, the a head/cam/intake package (plus a carb) would be a good route, you should be able to get 350hp out of it relatively easily.

Consider spending money on the ignition system as well. And plan on spending upwards of $3,500 depending on what you run into a long the way. $2k SHOULD get it done in theory....but then you start running into stuff, need to get ignition, have to buy extra this, can't get a great deal on that etc.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Jbomb
1st Gear Member

What does the 46 above the fuel gauge mean? 46% of tank left?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What modifications should I make to my 68 stock 302 engine