Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: Ford Mustang Fastback 68
Default How to restore chrome pieces

Hi,
I need help from guys who restore chrome pieces on our mustang! I need to restore all my chrome parts on my 68 fastback !!
Thanks
Math
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
mhubert89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

What its the best way to do this ?!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
racer_dave
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang Fastback

The stainless trim (windows, drip rails, headlight trim and such) can be buffed out. As for chrome parts, I'd think its cheaper to buy replacement parts than try to get the originals cleaned up and rechromed. Not positive, just depends on the pricing in your area and what work you need to do on the parts to get them ready for rechroming.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_dave View Post
The stainless trim (windows, drip rails, headlight trim and such) can be buffed out. As for chrome parts, I'd think its cheaper to buy replacement parts than try to get the originals cleaned up and rechromed. Not positive, just depends on the pricing in your area and what work you need to do on the parts to get them ready for rechroming.
so front and rear bumper, you think that will be better to buy some brand new. I live in canada but order my stuff to cjponyparts when they offer free shipping to canada !
Old 12-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
racer_dave
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang Fastback

It will depend on the cost to chrome up there. The chemicals involved are pretty nasty so the chromers have quite a few envirnomental taxes/fees to deal with. A lot will depend on how much of the prep work you can do on your own and what shape the bumpers are in. If they are tweaked and pitted you have to pay for the prep work then getting new will probably be cheaper. If they are in good shape or you can do all the prep yourself then maybe cheaper to rechrome. You also have to consider what your time is worth.

Can I do the labor to strip/grind/prep a bumper for rechroming, yes, but would 10 hours of my time be better spent on something else that I can't farm out? It's kinda like drywall work. Can I do it?- yes. Will I?- no.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

oki thanks ! soo i will buy a new bumper set !
Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement