Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New kid on the block

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM
StrifeWolfe

Default New kid on the block

Hey everyone! I'm new to the Mustang Forums because I'm looking for some advice. And before you jump to conclusions based on my age, believe me when I say, I have plenty of experience working with automobiles.
So, I currently have a 1972 MG B with a Mustang Cobra 302 wedged in thanks to help from my grandfather and his friend who is a retired machinist. Me an my grandfather have been building cars for a while, whether it was the Vette I watched him build when I was a newborn, or the 1969 Buick Special I helped him rebuild from the frame up at age 3. But the MG has been my favorite by far. I'm only 5'5" and 120lbs so the car fits perfectly and has an amazing power to weight ratio.
But for my next project, I want a 1971-1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1. I would like to do a frame up rebuild after I finish school, but I'd prefer it to be beat and cheap to prevent hunting for parts. I'm already familiar with JC Whitney, Jegs, Summit Racing, Rock Auto, and CJ Pony Parts, thanks to the MG and my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport. But I want some inside advice from the people who know far more about the Stang than I do. I do know I'd like to do a 302, preferably the modern Boss 302 crate motor, and I want to link it to a C4 trans. I'm not looking for a drag car, and I don't need it to be all original. I'm looking for a Resto/Mod project that will suit me and maybe allow me to finally recycle the old van. I'm all ears.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

Well you are in luck. It looks like the coyote should fit in the 71/73 mustangs with the proper oil pan:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...he_pushrod_v8/

You will still need lots of odds and ends to make it work. I know you can get the gas pedal and a radiator from www.mustangstofear.com I'm not sure about hooking up the C4 though, I think the bellhousing is different. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 AM
StrifeWolfe

Awesome, thanks for the links. As for the C4, I'm not completely set on it. I just want an auto trans to make it easy for anyone to drive, especially my grandfather who has trouble with the T-5 in the MG B. I noticed it said that the T-56 would have problems with the tunnel, but we had to do some interesting work to get the trans into the MG. I'll keep hunting around for options, and I'll add the other items to my list. Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 AM
StrifeWolfe

I did quite a bit of looking tonight and I've turned up that it has been done before. And there are plenty of shops that make the right parts for this build. A really expensive option that would make the restoration as well as addition of the new 5.0L Coyote extremely easy, is this complete chassis from Roadster Shop. It'd allow me to knock out brakes, suspension, mounting as well as headaches of a rusty chassis.