Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

good mig welder?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:32 AM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

Default good mig welder?

I had a talk with my friend's dad (whos been a welder for bout 18 yrs.) and he said he would weld the frame for me for a small fee (compared to the shops out there) so i gotta start looking for a good 220v mig welder to do the job. he isnt experienced with car frames thought...he does work on truck trailers ...should i consider him for the job or should i keep looking for a shop?anyways here is a mig welder i found....tell me what you guys think...can i find a better price and quality? any suggestions very welcome.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...=searchresults

thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: good mig welder?

Craftsman tools are good quality tools, and be sure you get the gas one. You might also google Lincoln welders. Here is a new one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LINCOLN-SP-175T-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 PM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

for a shielding gas you should use straight argon or a 75/25 mix of co2 and argon...you will get cleaner welds than straight co2...

and don't weld ANYTHING important with flux core wire (gas substitute)...you won't have hardly any penetration
Old 10-11-2005, 02:11 PM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

so flux is not good....i should get a gas one instead. thanks for the advise guys.....do you guys think a person thats been welding for 18 yrs on trucks is capable of replacing frame rails(front and rear)?

thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:54 PM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

if he's been welding that long it shouldn't be an issue at all...i've been welding for about 4 years and i'd be comfortable doing it

Come to CA and i'll do it so you don't have to buy a welder [sm=joke.gif]
Old 10-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You could actually do it yourself if you have any mechanical skills. Get some old metal and practice. Once you get comfortable with you newly acquired skill, then do it yourself. It is really not that hard. It just takes some practice with junk metal before you actually do it on your stang. And next observation. If your friend's dad is a pro welder, then he already has the equipment to do the job for you. So, if you opt to go with him and pay a fee, why are you needing to buy a welder? The welder's fee includes everything, not just the expertise of how to weld. And, if he is truly a friend, he would volunteer his time and equipment to do the job for you. My 2c. Thirdly, there is nothing wrong with flux and rod old technology welders. They were around many moons before the migs and tigs were invented, and they built many of your cars, ships, buildings, etc. I have a 1950 something welder that I use a lot. But, I prefer the gas mig.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 PM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys....hey redstallion i might take you up on that offer lol j/k ...youre right Soaring, we havent discussed details but im sure he wouldnt have too big of a problem with providing the welder...i just figure i might need it when i do the quarters and other parts. i thought about doing it myself...i know that alot of work will need to go into the frame though cause im relacing almost all of it. you guys are a big help ...thanks again.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
BiggusJimbus

Check your local rental outfits.

Some of them have Welders available.

The difference between a gas shielded welder and a flux welder is that the Flux actually creates a gas that shields the weld so no gas bottle is required. Not always as clean a weld, but not a big difference. Just more cleanup on the finished weld.

Just make sure the welder can develop the amperage necessary to penetrate the metal the thickness of the frame. Otherwise, It will not be strong enough.

Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:23 PM
hutchamatic
2nd Gear Member

Miller and Lincoln are some of the best welders out there. The craftman welder are okay for small jobs, but nothing big. I would not use one on a frame.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:42 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Id say stay away form the craftsman... they have been made by both Century (owned by lincoln, made overseas) and Clarke(asian Import)

Stick with Either Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart. Miller and Hobart are owned by the same people, but miller tends to be more or less geared towards the professional, as they have infinate adjustability, Hobarts use tapped controls, which, while good for abeginner, can make fine tuning the machine a PITA.

Jim