Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Best distributor ?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 AM
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

Default Best distributor ?!

hi,

i am looking to buy a distributor for my engine. I have a fresh 289 rebuilt with 4 bbl performer intake. original autolite 4100 carb. What are you recommend fpr this engine ?

thanks for your help.
Mathieu
Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I'm a big fan of the FoMoCo DuraSpark II ignition setup for dead nuts reliable service.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The "best" distributor is the stock one you already have, that has been professionally adjusted for ideal advance curves.

Distributor advance adjustment is probably the single most overlooked aspect of engine performance. I have adjusted many, and I have yet to put one on the machine and found it to be within limits. Ignore this at your peril; unless this is done, you may as well drive around with the carb float level set wrong, and all the spark plugs at different gaps.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Gun Jam

This sounds fun.

If I wanted to find someone who could use this machine to set up a dizzy what would it be called? It is suitable for mech only distributors or is it designed for vac advance systems?

What about the all digital distributors like the MSD E curve???

-Gun
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Best depends on the setup. A stock distributor/ignition would never be able to properly power an 11.5:1 compression high specific power engine.

By the same token a monster race distributor is massive overkill for a stock 289.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hi,

what exactly is your goal?

is your eng stock, moderate or wild?

stock dist on stock or mild - moderate engs works fine. curving it for a modded eng as suggested is helpful.

the biggest bang for your buck imo is a high voltage msd solid coil and an msd ign box. the analog one was on sale at summit for only $110.00.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:13 AM
mhubert89
1st Gear Member

Thank for your time and help, i am a young guy who just buy this car 1 year a go for a restoration. I am new in this passion. I don't really good with mecanical. My goa with my car its to built a dayli driver with is original style but i want a good performance and torque !!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Stock with a Pertronix in it will be fine.

I'd like to hear more about this "machine" too ...
Old 01-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

I agree with fastbackford351....I have a Duraspark system on my '65 289 and it's a LOT better than the old stock points-type ignition. I use a later model Ford TFI coil with it, and it produces a good spark with no need to check or set points,etc. Plus, replacement parts are at any local parts store. With the hotter spark, you can run a wider plug gap, too. I'm running Motorcraft BSF-42C plugs gapped at .050...fires right up and runs great....Go electronic!!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
This sounds fun.
If I wanted to find someone who could use this machine to set up a dizzy what would it be called? It is suitable for mech only distributors or is it designed for vac advance systems?

What about the all digital distributors like the MSD E curve???
-Gun
One machine would be called a Sun Distributor machine. When I was in highschool (a couple decades ago now) we had one in our autoshop class. It would simulate the engine rpms so you could see exactly what how the springs were reacting to the rotation (advance curve) from idle to redline. Basically it would spin the distributor and tell you the timing changes. I do not recall if it simulated the vacuum.

I've been unable to locate anyone in my area that has a distributor machine. The shops around here all adjust timing advance "by ear". You may find more luck if you're near a racing community.

Lastly, I'm not that familiar with the E curve, but my guess is that it electronically calculates the rpm and adjust the timing according to a pre-determined program. Thus not needing ajustment on a distributor machine.

Good luck.

Last edited by crunchyskippy; 01-16-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Corrected a mis-statement.

Quick Reply: Best distributor ?!