Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Borgenson Vs. Flaming River Rack&Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default Borgenson Vs. Flaming River Rack&Pinion

So what are the differences in performance of the two.

The Borgenson conversion is half the price of the rack and pinion i know this. but what should i expect with going with each of these steering choices.

thanks
B
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Borgeson will take up real estate in the engine bay, rack underneath. The rack may change the steering geometry a bit. How they feel will largely be a matter of pump selection. If you used the same pump that can be adjusted on both (like a KRC), you could get them both to feel exactly the same in terms of effort, doubtful you'd be able to tell the difference between the 2.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I currnetly have the factory power steering. I think i have room. My engine is done and i dont think i will need anymore additions.

Are there any challenges to getting the borgenson unit installed with long tube headers?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's going to depend on several factors, adjustable engine mounts, what headers etc. My manual FR box was slightly larger than the stock one, and between that and a lowered engine I had to grind a bit of the corner of the box casing and flatten 1 part of a header primary on my JBA shorties. Depending on how quickly your headers turn down from the flange and where the engine sits it may be bolt it, or it may need a bit of massaging. But the Borgeson box shouldn't be much larger than the one you have, if at all, in terms of how far into the engine compartment it sits.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

So I think I am going to go ahead and go with the borgeson unit. Since I already have all new tie rod ends and an idler arm waiting in the packaging.
the steering is the only system on the car i didnt restore.

can i use my factory pump? will I need a new adjustable pump?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The factory pump should work, I'd double check with the manufacturer to be sure; just in case they have some kind of pressure limit in their unit. Personally, I'd spend the money on a KRC pump, cast iron ones are cheap enough for their quality, then swap out pressure control fittings to get the feel you want.

You might also want to look at ABS Power Brake, Mike Maier told me he's running that one in his car. Same style as Borgeson, but that one is supposed to have a bit better steering ratio/response. That's what I plan on putting in my car at some point, but I have other crap higher up on the list.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

MonsterBilly, what did you go with in the end? How have you liked the results?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Well even though I technically have neither of these systems, I will be doing the borgeson install in the future for sure. Reasons I'm going this route is are:
1) it allowed me to update the rest of the steering system to manual components (center link, pitman arm, baer tracker kit) and worry about the pump and box later, I'm running manual steering to save funds for awhile
2) although its not original, to me the borgeson conversion retains some amount of originality in the car whereas a rack somehow seems less appropriate
3) I personally spoke to all the major suppliers of racks for classic stangs and after collecting actual notes on the different options I was honestly not impressed with any of them. Tcp being the exception but no way am I paying that price. Things I looked at were primarily cost, install difficulty, turn radius, bump steer, rack travel, return to center, road feel, pump options, and header clearance. If I found one that satisfied my criteria I would have put one in my car.
4) I won't publicly bash companies, but you really wouldn't believe the bs I was fed by the not-so-tech savy tech experts at a few companies (not tcp...). Honestly it was shocking! I consider myself an amateur with vehicles still, and really I learned everything I know through the internet and doing things to my own car, but when I asked questions it quickly became obvious I was not speaking to an expert. I requested to speak to someone a little more knowledgeable, and was told this wasn't possible.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376
Well even though I technically have neither of these systems, I will be doing the borgeson install in the future for sure. Reasons I'm going this route is are:
1) it allowed me to update the rest of the steering system to manual components (center link, pitman arm, baer tracker kit) and worry about the pump and box later, I'm running manual steering to save funds for awhile
2) although its not original, to me the borgeson conversion retains some amount of originality in the car whereas a rack somehow seems less appropriate
3) I personally spoke to all the major suppliers of racks for classic stangs and after collecting actual notes on the different options I was honestly not impressed with any of them. Tcp being the exception but no way am I paying that price. Things I looked at were primarily cost, install difficulty, turn radius, bump steer, rack travel, return to center, road feel, pump options, and header clearance. If I found one that satisfied my criteria I would have put one in my car.
4) I won't publicly bash companies, but you really wouldn't believe the bs I was fed by the not-so-tech savy tech experts at a few companies (not tcp...). Honestly it was shocking! I consider myself an amateur with vehicles still, and really I learned everything I know through the internet and doing things to my own car, but when I asked questions it quickly became obvious I was not speaking to an expert. I requested to speak to someone a little more knowledgeable, and was told this wasn't possible.
I went with the borders on unit. I like it. I have a few bugs to iron out. My return to center is not as smooth as I wish it was. Also, you have to be very precise when cutting down your stock column. There is nothing to retain the steering wheel and steering shaft other than the rag joint. I cut my column about 1/4" too shirt. So now my wheel will pull out away from the column that much. It looks like ****. So I need to install a few spacers to tighten up the slack.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Monsterbilly that sounds like something you'll have solved in short time, I'm a fan of your car/threads and you are obviously knowledgeable. Tell me about your system? ie alignment specs, tire size, outer tie rods, idler arm, pump? And is there a way to install a bearing or at least bushing to better guide the steering column shaft in the column? Probably not easily. I want to know more about the column mods. pm me

Quick Reply: Borgenson Vs. Flaming River Rack&Pinion